portable chain morticer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Pugh

Reaction score
Has any one ever used a portable chain morticer like the Makita one to make internal doors......? is there any reason why not ?

Welcome to the forum. :)

I've not used a portable one but have previously used a floor-standing Robinson chain mortiser. They can be quite intimidating, if you've not used one before! :? :wink:

I always found that, unless everything was set just right, it could leave quite severe breakout where the chain exits the mortise. It made a lot of noise and created a lot of mess! Saying that, it was great for quickly chopping a mortise in softwood though I never got to try it with any hardwoods. I think some people use the portable ones for building green oak frames?

Hopefully, someone else will be along shortly with a more helpful reply... :oops:

I can't remember if the Makita has a minmum clamping width, but that could be easily overcome.

The Makitas are very 'vigorous' (shall we say) when it comes to the actual morticing and I think you might well find that they will splinter the surface out quite badly on dry timber, maybe you'd be OK if you did a bit of preparation with a chisel to sever the surface fibres cleanly.

Mafell make a couple of their chain morticers specifically to be door lock morticers. Perhaps they have a different chain profile when compared to the framing morticers- I sadly haven't had the chance to get my hands on any Mafell so couldn't give an accurate assessment :(

Edit: Is that Tom Pugh the Cornish sawyer? Evenin'!

thanks guys....all good info

the maffells look good, 2 chains I can see the logic there...problem is I can see the price too.

Doug, the one in the vid looks great, good enough for me....do you know what make it is..?

...and Wills, must be another Tom

thanks again

Its mine and made by Ryobi . Good for doors i find but no good for windows as the chain guide is to big for a small haunch ( about 56mm from memory ) . The break out isnt that bad and as you wedge a M&T the break out is cut out anyway . I do half and half myself as i need to cut a haunch anyway so why risk worse break out .
They are about £700 new and about £350 - £500 second hand and the chains are seriously expensive but Brighton tools can supply the chains about £100 cheaper than any quote i have had .
Im making some external doors this week that need me to change the settings so i will check that it can go down to ( say 27mm ? )

Back