ply chicken shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highwood122

Established Member
Reaction score
could any one recommend what to treat a plywood shed with to protect it from the elements please

I used 1/2" plywood on my greenhouse and liberally applied an exterior solid stain. It has been on for 7 years and still good.
Needed to re coat with stain five years after due to fading of colour.

I used 1/2" plywood on my greenhouse and liberally applied an exterior solid stain. It has been on for 7 years and still good.
Needed to re coat with stain five years after due to fading of colour.
thanks

If the ply face is exposed I assume any normal external wood finish can be applied for appearance/protection.

There is a much bigger issue if the edges are exposed - the grain will tend to absorb water and the glue needs to be suitable for outdoor use. Sealant or paint will slow degradation, not stop it.

Problems can be minimised by (a) using ply rated for the job, (b) good design to ensure exposed edges are limited.

Slightly off topic but am I alone in thinking the quality of WBP exterior grade ply has really gone down. I have a 20 year old shed erected as a temporary measure when we moved in. It is covered in 6mm ply, which is still as good as new, without I must admit any real treatment. WBP I have bought more recently seems to only last 2-3 years before it starts coming apart.

Both my houses were generously painted annually inside with white bathroom type emulsion paint mixed generously with Jeyes Fluid. No feather mites, mould etc.

Last edited:
Both my houses were generously painted annually inside with white bathroom type emulsion paint mixed generously with Jeyes Fluid. No feather mites, mould etc.
never even occured to me to add jeyes into paint, does it effect the colour much? I'm wondering if bleach in paint is also an option?

My friend, a decorator, told a rep. from a major paint company that he always put bleach in masonary paint. The chap just shook his head and said do you seriously think that if something as cheap as bleach improved paint in any way we wouldn't have done it already?

I think the hypochlorite in bleach is quite fugitive, think Milton's baby bottle steriliser, you actually leave a faint whiff of it the sprogs bottle whereas Jeyes is compounded of aromatic heavy (ish) oils. It does give the paint a a grey/brown tinge.

Back in the day it was added it to whitewash which was mixed up in a small tin bath from a powder. It was thick enough to fill cracks and crevices, keeping insects/eggs/larvae sealed in as it dried. The same mix diluted was used on the insides of cold frames.

IIRC nest boxes were only scraped, with a three corner scraper and washed out with carbolic soap.

Mine is ply designed with as few raw edges that I could get away with. Zinsser allcoat as a finish (they got to choose their favourite colour). Floor and roof both removable so that it can just be washed out when needed.

Back