Plane Blade Squareness

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At last, someone has mentioned frog fettling, not an offence contrary to the Sexual Offences Act but means of getting the best out of a simple tool.

In other words, almost completely useless. Tormek does seem to get a bad press I don't know why people put up with them.
I agree, Tormek is a waste of money. Completely useless, expensive unnecessary item. Unfortunately, I had to buy one to find out how useless they are.

At last, someone has mentioned frog fettling, not an offence contrary to the Sexual Offences Act but means of getting the best out of a simple tool.
It's usually the frog boss and tapped screw holes that are out. Fettling the frog just wastes time. A bad plane body made it through QC. Some people's eyes light up when confronted with something like this. I just get nauseated.

I agree, Tormek is a waste of money. Completely useless, expensive unnecessary item. Unfortunately, I had to buy one to find out how useless they are.
If you are a beginner you may not realise how over the last 40 years or so, sharpening has been gadgetised, beyond recognition.
It's a good idea to be able to do it using the old simple ways, as a default.
Saves a fortune for starters, and it means you have taken control, having to actually look at what's going on and think about it! It's "hands-on" in the best sense
Makes me laugh though - all the borlox about Tormeks, glass plates, micro bevels, ruler tricks, flattening, grades of paper and dozens of different honing jigs each one worse than the last!

Last edited:
Back