Pine knots, Osmo, sealer, paint conundrum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calum Bettison

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I’ve made some lovely traditional solid pine raised panelling for our tenement window reveal. It’s gone really well, but after looking at it for several weeks now, my partner and I have admitted to ourselves that it just looks too… ‘piney’.

So we would like to paint it.

My concern is that we have finished in Osmo Poly x, and I’m unsure of what next steps to take to ensure the knots don’t bleed through the topcoat of paint.

My gut said Zinsser BIN, although apparently it’s horrendously smelly, followed by our choice of top coat.

Can you use knotting sealer (can’t remember it’s proper name) over Osmo?

I can’t imagine the Osmo will provide any resistance to the knot sap, as it’s designed to be a porous product, but I could be wrong.

Any pointers would be much appreciated!
DSCF2235.jpeg
IMG_5811.jpeg
IMG_5812.jpeg

A nice tidy bit of joinery there.

I have struggled in recent years with knotting, The knots just seem to blead through irrespective of how long I leave it to dry, or how many coats I apply.
I've recently resorted to using aluminium primer as the knotting solution. I treat the knots with it first and when this is dry I apply it as an overall primer. So far, so good. You should be alright on top of Osmo as it is just a drying oil like linseed.

I have some off-white paint in a bedroom where it needs repainting as the knots are staining through. Here, I might experiment with Zinsser, using it like knotting . It's white to start with, so shouldn't take too many top coats to cover it over.

For some jobs where you do not want the pine look and knots then you need to use a different wood, Sapelle is a good choice but will cost a bit more.

Back