Pattern Maker's Vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of building a new bench and am considering a pattern maker's vice as an alternative to the standard Record quick release type vice.

I sometimes work with curved/shaped/round components, which is why the pattern maker style is an option, but over half of my work is with regular shaped sections of wood. So the question is this, for "normal" woodwork, with square sectioned straight timber, is the pattern maker's vice a useful tool or too much of a compromise?

I'm in a similar position of trying to decide if a vice like this would be useful.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-pattern-makers-vice-prod21294/

If anyone had any experience of using one I would be interested to hear how good it is.

I share Custard's concerns that it's obvious flexibility for awkward clamping options might mean that it's not as effective for the more standard "square" clamping tasks.

Everyone who has one seems to swear by them - can't think of any particular difficulty with use it as a "normal" face vice. Only complaint in that regard seems to be that it's simply total overkill. Of course really you've got to install it with the rear jaw flush with the front of the bench if you're going to use it as a regular face vice, which is an extra level of hassle, but apart from that.

custard":31eiljkk said:
I'm thinking of building a new bench and am considering a pattern maker's vice as an alternative to the standard Record quick release type vice.

I sometimes work with curved/shaped/round components, which is why the pattern maker style is an option, but over half of my work is with regular shaped sections of wood. So the question is this, for "normal" woodwork, with square sectioned straight timber, is the pattern maker's vice a useful tool or too much of a compromise?

There are "ways" to handle funny objects in normal vices, and to get pivoting behaviour as well.

It depends on your priorities as much as anything.

BugBear

You mean like this one...
Robert%20020.jpg

On my bench.
Robert%20019.jpg

That went the way of my workshop due to the recession.

Excellent bit of kit and very useful when working on handrail wreaths by hand. It allows you to position the work in the most comfortable position to work at which in turn makes the job easier, enjoyable and turns out better.
I think I would have another one but install it on the end of the bench and put in a Record 52 1/2 QR for main use and a Veritas end vice on the righthand end of my next bench. That way I could do whatever got thrown at me, with ease! :lol:

Back