Favourite hand plane and why

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indiana

Established Member
Reaction score
Most of us probably have a go to plane for one reason or another. (Depending on the job obviously)

If you are like me an have a large collection then you’ll probably have one or 2 favourites

This one starts out when I was an apprentice
Back when you could buy things on eBay for 99p. I was just starting out and trying to build my tool box. One evening on eBay I saw a box of “carpenters tools”

Didn’t look like much sandpaper, steel wool
Some files. Box of old shed stuff really.

1 was the only bidder and including shipping was about £5.

When it arrived I was shocked
Right at the bottom was this Stanley block plane. Skewed rebate

I’m told they stopped making them just before the war

I use it pretty much every day for a number of things. Would be lost without it in the work shop

Attachments

• IMG_5773.jpeg
    IMG_5773.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5775.jpeg
    IMG_5775.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5776.jpeg
    IMG_5776.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
My record block plane is my favourite. Great for trimming small lippings and putting chamfers on edges . I’ve also found it useful for taking the rough edges from plastic cladding etc .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
My record block plane is my favourite. Great for trimming small lippings and putting chamfers on edges . I’ve also found it useful for taking the rough edges from plastic cladding etc .
That's my goto plane for all the same reasons as you!!
It used to be a Stanley model with an adjustable throat and I persevered with it for many years - it suffered from the blade lateral adjuster moving with hand pressure - just bad design.
Later I inherited a very rusty Record 120 which cleaned up OK and it swiftly replaced the Stanley, albeit your's looks like it has a better adjusting and clamping design
record-1.jpg
record-2.jpg

That's my goto plane for all the same reasons as you!!
It used to be a Stanley model with an adjustable throat and I persevered with it for many years - it suffered from the blade lateral adjuster moving with hand pressure - just bad design.
Later I inherited a very rusty Record 120 which cleaned up OK and it swiftly replaced the Stanley, albeit your's looks like it has a better adjusting and clamping design
View attachment 187579View attachment 187580
A true workhorse for not much money , I’ve had it + 25 years and it is still on the original blade . Yours looks like a much older model but has more or less the same shape. Good tool and clearly made to last . 👍👍

I have eight No4s. They are my most used along with a 4 1/2 so I suppose they're my favourite. I still have the one my dad bought me in 1981 when I got married. I will obtain more because I can't resist rescuing them for the right price.
Thought I was bad having 4 of them. It was 5 but I gave one away. There are also 2 wooden coffin smoothers and an old Mathieson infill smoother. I am also a sucker for old tools in need of rescue. I admit to likely having more planes than I really need but I could not single one out as a favourite. All the complete ones ( not in the spare parts box) are users.
Regards
John

no 5 1/2 is my favourite all rounder and a no 4 1/2 for smoothing, I don't use a block plane.

Last edited:
My two equal favourites:

IMG_8203.jpeg

- Lie-Nielsen bronze No. 102 low angle block plane
- Veritas NX60 low angle block plane - hmm, just had to look this up to check the number; it’s $504 (and not available), so I probably shouldn’t use it for the everyday stuff I do!

I have other planes, but these are the ones I reach for first. Why? They are both very comfortable in the hand - the Veritas is bigger and has more heft so is probably the more versatile. Both have thick blades that keep an edge for ages.

Cheers

Last edited:
My Marples MA43 (Record 043 equivalent) is my favourite. It's small and fits comfortably in the hand, cuts nice grooves and gives brilliant shavings. I used it cross grain once (with deep knife lines) and it handled it like a champ.

My other favourite is Stanley 7 - not used often but a joy to use when it comes out.

Mine is my renovated Record no.4

I've fettled with it over time and it now takes a wafer thin sliver off even the sketchiest pieces and leaves a virtually faultless finish.

90% of the time I pick it up when getting ready to apply finish, and it's very rare I have to use scrapers or sandpaper (both of which I hate...)

I have 2 favourites, my two sons bought them for me which is why they are my favourite and choosing just one would be the equivalent of picking a favourite child........ :unsure:

Had them years, not even sure of the make, I would guess Quangsheng or similar :dunno:

Boys Planes.jpg

Come to think mine is the ECE scrub. Small and light but removes material faster than anything else.
I use it for cleaning up old reclaimed or painted timber, which I think is its original purpose - theres a clue in the name!
Then an old Record 5 1/2
I never got on with a 4 1/2 nor a 6, the 5 1/2 does for both.
Come to think my Stanley 3 is nice to use
and the 4.
the 7 is good.
and the Stanley 220 block plane - the older pattern with a wooden knob.
PS and the 5 is nice to use.

Last edited:
Back