(Partially!) Hidden hinge box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
Using a jig from a generous secret Santa from few years ago, I had a go at a Rob cosman hidden hinge box.

So lessons in really dialing in the routing the slot and also importance of really uniform / even grain. I thought I’d get away with natural variation in this oak but it was no where near even enough for the hinge to be hidden. Still, nice box none-the-less.

S

Attachments

• IMG_5665.jpeg
    IMG_5665.jpeg
    2.5 MB
  • IMG_5666.jpeg
    IMG_5666.jpeg
    2.1 MB
  • IMG_5667.jpeg
    IMG_5667.jpeg
    2 MB
  • IMG_5668.jpeg
    IMG_5668.jpeg
    2 MB
Last edited:
Looks perfectly good enough to me, don’t think I would have considered using cats paw Oak for a small box but that really works well! I like that you put one just where the lift scallop is placed too.
Ian

I think that looks excellent.

Personally, I'd refer to it as a "feature" or "signature" flush wooden hinge, rather than "hidden" - I think it being a little more visible on such a highly-variable grain item lends it an air of excellence.

Looks perfectly good enough to me, don’t think I would have considered using cats paw Oak for a small box but that really works well! I like that you put one just where the lift scallop is placed too.
Ian
Note heard of CP oak before - sounds much better than ‘a bit knotty’ or character grade! Placement was more luck that judgement really, just centralised the knotty figure by eye and cut clean grain off to make rest of box.

Latest posts

Back