Paint stripper recommendations please!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainBudget

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

We have the below door taken off the bathroom cupboard as part of a bathroom facelift. It has been done in what I presume is the same white Non-drip gloss everything else in the house is. The exposed bits of wood on the back/side suggest well aged pine and we would prefer to upcycle/renovate rather than scrap.

The plan is to strip back to bare wood and "weather" it using the old white emulsion and sponge technique (forget the correct name)

Could anyone recommend a decent paint stripper that will work on this without spending the rest of my life scraping stuff off? I remember Nitromors being the stripper of choice for everything ~15 years ago and working really well before it was neutered by new chemical regulations.

Thanks in advance

1000000642.jpg

You could still buy the stronger Methylene Chloride stuff off Ebay - specifically the ones that were called Professional or Industrial and came in 5 litre containers. Though a quick look no longer shows me the one I still have in my workshop.
I've had really good success with one of the modern water based ones
,but for the life of me I can't remember which brand it was.

It’s nitro moors for me , similar to above post I did use a cheaper brand non toxic but it was useless so I stick to the tried and tested nitro moors ..just don’t get it on your skin and definitely not near your eyes ..gloves , goggles and a mask are advised and if at all possible work outside and put a large sheet down..

Back