Osmo Polyx Oil Raw 3044 Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willis88

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just used some Osmo Raw on an Oak cupboard top, looks amazing
However, has anyone had issues cleaning the brush afterwards?!
White spirit doesn't do the job, nor hot soapy water.
On the website Osmo suggest Osmo brush cleaner, which is just white spirit with odours removed.
But basically it seems to be the white pigment in the oil just won't shift, it's too excessive to bin a brush after each coat
Anyone else had this issue?

Could you wrap the brush in cling film, should stay soft for a day or two then chuck it when you've finished this project?

I’ve cleaned Oxmo ploy X off my brushes with dedicated brush cleaner (poly cleanse) or similar. That worked well. If I remember I did wash it twice in cleaner then finish with washing up liquid.

I've used Osmo Raw on a couple of projects in the past......Not recently though and for the life of me, I can't remember what I used to clean up....???
Come to think of it, I dont think I used a brush at all.....I think I used a small sponge and threw it away after application.

Perhaps DNA (Denatured Alcohol) would do the job...? It has multiple uses anyway, so it's always useful to have a bottle to hand.

I've used Osmo Raw on a couple of projects in the past......Not recently though and for the life of me, I can't remember what I used to clean up....???
Come to think of it, I dont think I used a brush at all.....I think I used a small sponge and threw it away after application.

Perhaps DNA (Denatured Alcohol) would do the job...? It has multiple uses anyway, so it's always useful to have a bottle to hand.
Hi where in the uk are you buying Denatured Alcohol from when i have looked for it i cant seem to find it only post saying use methylated spirit as that is the same thank you

Hi where in the uk are you buying Denatured Alcohol from when i have looked for it i cant seem to find it only post saying use methylated spirit as that is the same thank you

Its widely available, but I buy mine from a Trade supplier as one of my primary uses is in the fabrication of Solid Surface material, amongst other things.
As I use it in a commercial environment, I had to apply for authorisation from the UK government to buy it on a regular basis.

Edit,
Here is copy of a note on the Gov.UK website.......

8.4 Restrictions on the supply to users of IDA and TSDA​

Industrial denatured alcohol and trade specific denatured alcohols may only be supplied to users who are authorised by us. Authorised users of IDA and TSDA must supply you with a copy of their authorisation to receive and use denatured alcohol. The document may cover any number of consignments of industrial denatured alcohol or trade specific denatured alcohol supplied by you.

You must not supply industrial denatured alcohol or trade specific denatured alcohol without holding a copy of the user’s authorisation.

You must not supply industrial denatured alcohol or trade specific denatured alcohol for a use that is not included in the user’s authorisation.

Last edited:
‘Meths’ is methanol or methyl alcohol. Methylated spirit is commonly known as denatured alcohol. It is basically ethanol/methanol mix that has additives that make it poisonous, very smelly and dangerous to consume. These additions to the ethanol 'denature' it.

Its widely available, but I buy mine from a Trade supplier as one of my primary uses is in the fabrication of Solid Surface material, amongst other things.
As I use it in a commercial environment, I had to apply for authorisation from the UK government to buy it on a regular basis.

Edit,
Here is copy of a note on the Gov.UK website.......

8.4 Restrictions on the supply to users of IDA and TSDA​

Industrial denatured alcohol and trade specific denatured alcohols may only be supplied to users who are authorised by us. Authorised users of IDA and TSDA must supply you with a copy of their authorisation to receive and use denatured alcohol. The document may cover any number of consignments of industrial denatured alcohol or trade specific denatured alcohol supplied by you.

You must not supply industrial denatured alcohol or trade specific denatured alcohol without holding a copy of the user’s authorisation.

You must not supply industrial denatured alcohol or trade specific denatured alcohol for a use that is not included in the user’s authorisation.
Thank you for your message and the information its a great help much appreciated

‘Meths’ is methanol or methyl alcohol. Methylated spirit is commonly known as denatured alcohol. It is basically ethanol/methanol mix that has additives that make it poisonous, very smelly and dangerous to consume. These additions to the ethanol 'denature' it.
Hi thank you for your reply its been very helpful much appreciated

Osmos sell their own brush cleaner. Looking at the Cosh data sheet it’s made out of C10~13 hydrocarbon compounds. So, a solvent based brush cleaner will probably work. I’d have a go with standard thinners, or turpentine substitutes.

I use Osmo UV Protection on outdoor wooden fencing and sheds etc frequently, as it's my preferred coating. However, even when using the Osmo Brush Cleaner, I still get knackered brushes after use. I now use a cheap synthetic brush each time and throw it away after use.

+1 for just using rags or if you need to do bigger areas small disposable rollers are cheap and can be reused for a day or so between coats. OsMO is so forgiving to apply that I wouldn't be bothering with the faff of cleaning brushes

Back