Organisation and workflow

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is all refreshing to know, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this .

Bit of a sore topic for me, how do you stay organised and focussed on the work you do? I really struggle with confidence and sometimes motivation. I have a teaching job and I feel it really takes me away from my hobby of making things.

Any advice would be great.

Teaching is a tricky one to balance - especially if your teaching work is coming home with you. I always found that when I had time I was too tired. Weather gets in the way and then suddenly it's Sunday evening again.

Teaching is a tricky one to balance - especially if your teaching work is coming home with you. I always found that when I had time I was too tired. Weather gets in the way and then suddenly it's Sunday evening again.

Literally the story of my life. Im a head of department too which can be really tricky to handle.
I kind of like the job but I wish I could be in the workshop some more. ( I guess everyone might feel like that though )

Whilst I was earning a living making joinery and fitted furniture, I didn't find it too difficult planning jobs, sourcjng materials, or carrying out the work. In the workshop I was in control of things, and the environment suited me fine - it was my natural habitat.:giggle:

Of course, I had those inevitable days when some tasks seemed to take an inordinate amount of time and effort. These, were what I called my "Ganesh Days" - the ones when you are shifting heavy obstacles. But, you just have to get through them, as they clear the way for the rest of the work to proceed. at a faster pace.

However, what I did find difficult to do, was to plan and carry out building and decorating work at home, I was usually working flat out, but when work did dry up, I was always a bit reticent about spending funds at home despite having time to do the work. To get anything done at home I soon realised, ,that I just had to seize the moment and start the task and trust that providence would provide. And, to be honest, it usually did. 🤔

Last edited:
Funny timing on this thread, I had a bit of a revelation yesterday about this subject. I've been really really struggling with confidence and motivation in the workshop for nearly exactly 1 year. I felt it all slip away last September and for the most part it's been completely gone, albeit with the odd up swing here and there. My therapist pointed out that overstimulation for people with ADHD (undiagnosed, on the waiting list) can result in this.

I "build" a lot in my head, my mind is constantly busy mulling over various problems that I want to solve. I think at some point my outlet for all that problem solving dried up enough that I passed a tipping point into a vicious circle where not going into the workshop resulted in more "building in my head" which resulted in more unknowns (everything in my head is theory until it gets turned into something physical), which resulted in overwhelm, which resulted in not going into the workshop...

I've had a lot of rough plans in my head for big improvements to my walking stick production process and I've been slowly (months!) getting to the point where I want to put those into practice. Yesterday I started writing down everything I know, everything I think and everything that I don't know. I wrote list after list and curated them into plans (with lots of unknowns ofc). The relief was immediate, and I felt sooooo much better. I'm confident now that when I step into the workshop next, I'll be able to pull out my lists and do something productive. The confidence will follow.

Funny timing on this thread, I had a bit of a revelation yesterday about this subject. I've been really really struggling with confidence and motivation in the workshop for nearly exactly 1 year. I felt it all slip away last September and for the most part it's been completely gone, albeit with the odd up swing here and there. My therapist pointed out that overstimulation for people with ADHD (undiagnosed, on the waiting list) can result in this.

I "build" a lot in my head, my mind is constantly busy mulling over various problems that I want to solve. I think at some point my outlet for all that problem solving dried up enough that I passed a tipping point into a vicious circle where not going into the workshop resulted in more "building in my head" which resulted in more unknowns (everything in my head is theory until it gets turned into something physical), which resulted in overwhelm, which resulted in not going into the workshop...

I've had a lot of rough plans in my head for big improvements to my walking stick production process and I've been slowly (months!) getting to the point where I want to put those into practice. Yesterday I started writing down everything I know, everything I think and everything that I don't know. I wrote list after list and curated them into plans (with lots of unknowns ofc). The relief was immediate, and I felt sooooo much better. I'm confident now that when I step into the workshop next, I'll be able to pull out my lists and do something productive. The confidence will follow.
Off topic, but I just had a look at your walking sticks. Bravo, they’re beautiful!

Somebody (now banned) said when woodwork becomes art that's when the problems start. A sentiment I totally agree with. When I'm simply copying something well that's a doddle. It's when I need to design and make where it becomes much trickier(and slower)

Literally the story of my life. Im a head of department too which can be really tricky to handle.
I kind of like the job but I wish I could be in the workshop some more. ( I guess everyone might feel like that though

I know this sounds crazy - but....

Can you do a 'deep dive' into your timetable and pick out one day when you can shuffle things around and leave a little early (5o/c maybe) and just have that as workshop evening. Date night with your shed!! Try as hard as you can to protect Tuesday / Wednesday evening when you aren't too tired and get a takeaway on the way home and go straight to the shed. Maybe there is a number 2 teacher for that department - that is their night to deal with anything that crops up instead.

Even if it means getting up a bit earlier the next morning to get half an hours marking done before school. Imagine that crappy Tuesday afternoon of classes - but now you have an evening of woodturning or whatever you do to look forward to.

All the best

I kind of like the job but I wish I could be in the workshop some more. ( I guess everyone might feel like that though

I know this sounds crazy - but....

Can you do a 'deep dive' into your timetable and pick out one day when you can shuffle things around and leave a little early (5o/c maybe) and just have that as workshop evening. Date night with your shed!! Try as hard as you can to protect Tuesday / Wednesday evening when you aren't too tired and get a takeaway on the way home and go straight to the shed. Maybe there is a number 2 teacher for that department - that is their night to deal with anything that crops up instead.

Even if it means getting up a bit earlier the next morning to get half an hours marking done before school. Imagine that crappy Tuesday afternoon of classes - but now you have an evening of woodturning or whatever you do to look forward to.

All the best

That’s really something I could do, it would be really good if I deep dive into it and pick out a Tuesday.

Thank you by the way, it’s really something I can do to help.

Latest posts

Back