Old knackered Karcher K7.20MX 1.034-850 Pressure Washer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So 40ish hours of use? Assuming it’s an hour to wash down whatever needs doing twice a year. Hardly a lot of use despite it being 20 years old.

Fair comment, except that I guess it's more like 80 hours use in those 20-odd years (we have a lot of terrace and paths) and especially in later years I have definitely got slower moving around generally. This week just gone I used it for the last time and it took me something over 2 running hours before giving it away. So let's stick with 80 running hours as a guesstimate.

As the machine is sold as a hobby/DIY/general use machine, and NOT as an industrial unit, I'd say 80 hours is not too bad - and I have no idea how many running hours the new owner will get from it.

Just saying, NOT disagreeing, simply "speaking as I have found"! :)

AND, as said in my last post, the similar age/same make shop vac is still going strong and going to the new flat with us.

NOT saying Kaercher is "great" but AM saying IME Kaercher is on a par with similarly-priced stuff (here, prices are roughly "middle of the road").

Last edited:
Fair comment, except that I guess it's more like 80 hours use in those 20-odd years (we have a lot of terrace and paths) and especially in later years I have definitely got slower moving around generally. This week just gone I used it for the last time and it took me something over 2 running hours before giving it away. So let's stick with 80 running hours as a guesstimate.

As the machine is sold as a hobby/DIY/general use machine, and NOT as an industrial unit, I'd say 80 hours is not too bad - and I have no idea how many running hours the new owner will get from it.

Just saying, NOT disagreeing, simply "speaking as I have found"! :)

AND, as said in my last post, the similar age/same make shop vac is still going strong and going to the new flat with us.

NOT saying Kaercher is "great" but AM saying IME Kaercher is on a par with similarly-priced stuff (here, prices are roughly "middle of the road").
My usage is similar to Lons with the same vehicular problem. I only picked up on the 40 uses because I do more than that in a year. I have a Kranzel which are rated for thousands of hours of use so way overkill for my usage.

My usage is similar to Lons with the same vehicular problem. I only picked up on the 40 uses because I do more than that in a year. I have a Kranzel which are rated for thousands of hours of use so way overkill for my usage.

OK, I don't think that we disagree really, it's just that your own Kaercher experience clearly differs from my own. I would not claim to be "a Kaercher fan boy", just that IME, it's "OK for the price".

BTW, and NOT really thread drift (I hope!) do I remember reading some years back (probably many years!) that B&D (I think) published a report saying that the average DIY electric drill (cabled back then of course) had a life of about 5 years on the shelf and an actual running (usage) life of about 30 mins? o_O

OK, I don't think that we disagree really, it's just that your own Kaercher experience clearly differs from my own. I would not claim to be "a Kaercher fan boy", just that IME, it's "OK for the price".

BTW, and NOT really thread drift (I hope!) do I remember reading some years back (probably many years!) that B&D (I think) published a report saying that the average DIY electric drill (cabled back then of course) had a life of about 5 years on the shelf and an actual running (usage) life of about 30 mins? o_O
Yes I remember ghat being discussed here. That was related to MTBF if i recall correctly.

My problem with Karcher is they are really bad for repairing. I had one which lasted me two years many moons ago and I had to scrap it because it was “not economical to repair”. I replaced it with something I knew could be repaired. My Dad on the other hand has one that he uses once in a blue moon and his must be more than 20 years old.

For what they are Karcher are great but depending on the use you have in mind there might be better options.

A very common problem with Karchers, whatever the model, is 'pulsating'. A crack in one or more of the 'O' rings in the cylinder head can be the cause, or minute cracks in the plastic body of the head if the machine has been stored in a shed and has been below freezing in winter. You can buy a set of five replacement 'O' rings, but given that you have to strip the machine down to remove the cylinder head and fit new 'O' rings, then reassemble it, (which may or may not cure the fault), a better option in my view is to replace the cylinder head, (about £25.00) which comes with the 'O' rings and a little replacement filter.

I've had a Karcher for about 25 years, which failed after 5 years (pulsating), because I'd kept in in the garden shed over winter.

I watched a couple of videos on youtube, and bought a replacement head from e-spares, which cured the problem. (e-spares was bought out of administration by Screwfix in 2023, but still trades under the e-spares name). Both Screwfix and e-spares stock a wide range of Karcher Spares. Ever since I repaired it I've stored my Karcher if the garage, which is brick and attached to the house, so never falls below freezing. Still going strong. I've just spent a week jet-washing large areas of concrete pavers at the front and rear of our house, a few hours at a time, which I do every three years of so. Some pics attached of when I did it in 2021. You can see the contrast between ones that had been washed, and others waiting to be washed.

I wouldn't say jet-washing a pleasurable task, but I don't find it a chore. Small pleasures amuse small minds - maybe I was deprived of water pistols in my early years?).

Countless videos on youtube of Karcher strip-downs and repair pulsating, apparent failure to switch on (not electrical - air lock), water leaks, capacitor replacement. All just spanner and screwdriver DIY repairs for anyone so inclined.

Attachments

• Back patio 1.jpg
    Back patio 1.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 0
  • LH patio still to do 6 April.jpg
    LH patio still to do 6 April.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Back patio 3.jpg
    Back patio 3.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Front drive.jpg
    Front drive.jpg
    876.1 KB · Views: 0
@Paul Barnard:

QUOTE: "Yes I remember ghat being discussed here. That was related to MTBF if i recall correctly." UNQUOTE:

I don't remember that bit, but I do seem to recall those numbers (or roughly those anyway). Pleased to know my memory hasn't (yet!) failed completely, thanks. :)

Latest posts

Back