Nu-tool wood lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerro

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if this is a good lathe. and what did it cost when brand new. Thank you

I assume its this type of lathe - picture copied from ebay where its for sale.
Its not a good lathe and to be avoided
How much do you have available to spend on a lathe?

1721898558326.png

This is the lathe

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-25 at 10-19-29 nu-tool lathe at DuckDuckGo.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-25 at 10-19-29 nu-tool lathe at DuckDuckGo.png
    313.9 KB
  • Screenshot 2024-07-25 at 10-18-45 nu-tool lathe at DuckDuckGo.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-25 at 10-18-45 nu-tool lathe at DuckDuckGo.png
    327.5 KB
No its not that lathe it has a lever on the box with 10 speeds
My workshop is for metal and I have a boxford lathe but I want to do a bit of turning this is the lathe

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-25 at 10-19-29 nu-tool lathe at DuckDuckGo.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-25 at 10-19-29 nu-tool lathe at DuckDuckGo.png
    313.9 KB
I was thinking of the round bar one mentioned above, they're common.
That one's marketed under several names, it shouldn't be bad. If the chuck's with it I'd say go for it.

Thank You
I agree with what Phil said.

Comes under many badges, one of the was the Axminster m900. I used to have one and it is surprisingly capable. With the head swiveled, you can make up to 18 inch bowls, though the fairly high lowest speed makes that interesting unless the blank is well balanced.

I'm so glad I added a photo of the more common type of Nutool lathe and that you added a photo of the variable speed one being purchased. Yes I agree with others if the chuck and key comes with it. While you're there try for a revolving centre for the tailstock.
See it running and ONLY change speed when the lathe is running or you will damage the reeves drive. If you are allowed to remove the drive belt/drive cover you will be able to see if these pulleys are in good condition. From memory (I had a Perform version at one point) it will be hard or impossible to purchase new/replace the drive pulley (cones?)

This type of lathe come with umpteen different badges. The drive system has two pairs of sliding cones made from sintered aluminium. The cones on the motor are lubricated via an oiling point in the end of the spindle. The ones on the drive spindle have no obvious means of lubrication and can get stuck. If you try to get them off, they fall to pieces. Last time I tried to replace a set they were out of production so I had to scrap the lathe.
You can oil that pair with the lid off (with great care and fiddle).
You need to check that lathe will run and go through complete speed range easily and without a jamming and without a lot of rattling.
It looks poorly maintained from the pics, so beware.

Thank you everyone for your kind replys, I got his address after some difficulty arranged a time to meet 11am arrived early waited and waited knocked on back and front doors no reply came home. He said he had to pick his 12 year old son up, I told him sorry but would not be coming again

Possibly fortuitous
Now coming back to lathes what do you want to make or just anything as you don't know yet?
How much do you want to spend let us know as someone here might have what you need, try and get one with a chuck.

Possibly fortuitous
Now coming back to lathes what do you want to make or just anything as you don't know yet?
How much do you want to spend let us know as someone here might have what you need, try and get one with a chuck.
I just want to make a bowle or plate, and maybe legs for a coffee table. People on here advised me to get a wood lathe when I asked about converting my boxford metal lathe for the odd jobs I would turn with wood

I suggest a Record Power lathe would be a good starter wood lathe and depending on your budget there are many out there that will suit your requirements. Search ebay to get an idea of prices or gumtree etc or review your decline of the previous one and go looksee it seems to have a reasonable chuck (look at chuck prices!)
Schools are on holiday so that might help the seller being around

Back