Nova or Record?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgrbff

Established Member
Reaction score
I have seen a good offer on a TEKNATOOL NOVA G3 "PRO-TEK". It is slightly more expensive than the SC3 but jaws are possibly easier to find here than Record.
Is there any reason to still go for the SC3? will it offer greater choice than the Teknatool.
I won't necessarily buy it, I may not need it at first, but I'd still like to know if one has any advantages over the other.

I have an SC4 and it's great. Record Power used to sell Nova chucks and they look the same to me. They don't show the jaw/chuck interface in the pictures but I think it will be highly likely that the jaws are interchangeable.

Quick check in my old SC4 manual indicates that if you put RP jaws on a Nova chuck you need to put jaw 2 on slide 4 and vice versa. 1 and 3 are fitted as usual

IIRC it is due to the jaws tightening in the opposite direction.

But it's about 6-8 years old so could have changed now.

Quick check in my old SC4 manual indicates that if you put RP jaws on a Nova chuck you need to put jaw 2 on slide 4 and vice versa. 1 and 3 are fitted as usual

IIRC it is due to the jaws tightening in the opposite direction.

But it's about 6-8 years old so could have changed now.
Well I'm blowed. You learn something every day. Just downloaded the manual & it states
"If you try to fit NOVA jaws to RECORD POWER SC chucks it is important to remember that the jaw numbering on NOVA jaws will be different to the jaw numbering on RECORD POWER SC jaws and jaw slides.
NOVA jaws 1 and 3 should still be matched to jaw slides 1 and 3 on the RECORD POWER SC chuck as you would with RECORD POWER jaws. However, jaw 2 should be mounted on slide 4 and jaw 4 should be mounted on slide 2 (this is the opposite of mounting RECORD POWER jaws to RECORD POWER SC chucks – in which case the jaw numbers match the jaw slides exactly)."
Edit: Applies to SC3 & SC4 chucks.

Latest posts

Back