Newbie with a block plane Q

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandMoffTarkin

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just getting into wood after years of metal/machining. Picked up a stanley 9 1/2 block plane to fiddle with. The thing that seems unusual is the bevel.
So if I hold the iron up in front of me I can clearly see that it is about 4-6 degrees out of true. IE, it slopes down by that angle from the right side of the iron to the left.
I thought perhaps whoever sharpened it must have had a squint, but the bevel itself is beautifully finished, not far off a mirror, it's just no where near perpendicular to the edges.
Could it have been sharpened like this for a specific reason? Is that a thing in woodwork? Looks like far to much work to get it parallel again by hand...

Mine certainly isn’t square on, I’ve got a bit heavy handed on one side each time I’ve sharpened it. When it gets so far out that I can’t make it work at a bit of an angle I shall regrind it. The question is though does yours work ok?
So welcome and have fun with your new hobby.

Hi hello and welcome- ref to your plane - as said on forged in fire 🔥 many times “ it will cut “ if not how much blade will be left once you true it up - maybe just start off with a new blade and learn how to make it cut ( not mentioning the S word )

Welcome to the forum.
I will repeat the does it work as it is question. By that I mean can it take an even shaving. If so then just use it as it is and every time you sharpen lean a bit harder on the high side. Over time it will come back to being more square. If you checked any of my blades with a square few would be spot on but all are workable. If it is too far over to be workable then you will have to grind it square then grind a new bevel and resharpen. Thats an easy job with a grinder but a long job just on the stones.
Regards
John

Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up regrinding on the bench sander (with plenty of water), then finished off on some cheap diamond plates. She's square now and cuts like a razor. I'm realizing that one of the benefits of wood versus metal is that instead of orrible, sharp, dirty bits of swarf everywhere, you get lovely paper thin rolls that are so aesthetically pleasing it's hard to put them in the bin!

Latest posts

Back