New shed build - lining queries

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajs

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just built a Forest Garden Beckwood shed, only 7x5ft as a mini home workshop. I'll do a full write up here in due course - I know I searched in vain for a reliable considered review from someone who had actually built it - but right now I'm still in the initial kitting out stage, i.e. electrics, lining and so on. It's the lining I'm seeking input on.

My plan is to skin the inside of the frame (walls and ceiling) with ply, probably 6mm as it looks like it will be a matter of £20 over 4mm and a bit more solid to mount surface sockets on. Would also hopefully stiffen up the shed a bit - I wouldn't call it flimsy but there is movement with a good shove. Does that sound reasonable? Screw or pin it place? With silicone sealant over the frame or without?

I'm inclined to fill the resulting void with lambswool insulation (Thermafleece) for environmental reasons and also because it is available in 25mm which will neatly fit between the framing. Any suggestions on holding it in place prior to the ply going on? Also do I need a breathable membrane, and if so open to suggestions and which side should it go on?

Finally, the floor. I had originally intended simply to paint the floor once the pressure treatment has dried. It's a solid timber tongue and groove floor but rather knotty in places - one plank is already failing because of a sequence of knots across the board. It looks like it will be easy enough to slide that out and I intend to contact Forest to see if they will send a replacement. However the rest of the floor is a little too spongy for my liking so I'm thinking of covering that in ply to spread the load out. 12 or 18mm? It looks like I can just squeeze the floor out of a single sheet with a sensible cutting plan but it's right on the limit.

Sorry for the length and thanks for any insights.

Back