New lathe not aligning - please help [Axminster AW205WL]

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Systematic Renovations

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just received the Axminster Workshop AW205WL new today from axminster. I have set it all up and performed the kiss test but the prong drive and tailstock do not align. Is there any way to rectify this or should I return it to axminster?

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20240911_181348988.jpg
    PXL_20240911_181348988.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Judging by the picture, it seems to show that the side to side alignment is off, rather than the up and down, Is their any debris that is stopping the tailstock assembly from sitting squarely on the bed? Or, is there even some sideways play, where it locates in the bed?
EDIT @Sachakins definitely has a point if this particular model has a Headstock that can be rotated.

Last edited:
Also worth checking the lathe is level along and across the bedways, it doesn't take much to affect alignment. When they points are spinning do they stay in the aliment shown or do they rotate around eachother

Looking at the design of the bed I wouldn't be surprised if stigmorgan is right, and you might have a bit of twist.
Very common on metal lathes with a similar bed design. Is it bolted down, if so try undoing the bolts and see if it is then straight. If this is the problem then you can use metal shims under the feet to adjust it.

Before anything, just check that the Mt bores and tapers are clean.

It's worth emailing them your photo and see what they say.

I have a double ended MT2 to align my herald lathe head and tailstock from time to time. Always after I've rotated headstock, takes seconds to do.

https://www.axminstertools.com/axmi...HI43vCyz6z5UNVOaKujwYk-_cMqKXqYxoCnOYQAvD_BwE
I hang a sign on mine when I've moved the headstock. Either do that or never put it back in line without checking it.

If its anything like the AW240WL I have, there is a fair degree of play in the tailstock mounting, without any obvious adjustment.

Latest posts

Back