Need a word to describe a process

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmosheim

Established Member
Reaction score
Lately I have been thinking about the process of woodworking and, in my case, the related process of describing the process of doing it to the people who work for and with me. There are things that can't be easily put into words ... what does a 'beveled' edge actually look like? a 1/16th" face? three passes with the block plane? a planed and sanded bevel? How do you do or decide exactly what the next step in the process should be? In short, How Do You Make Something You Have Not Made Before???? This word, imho, also has something to do with one of the problems of formal education, that being the teaching of processes that can not easily be communicated by words on paper or in a book. Some extremely smart people also don't seem to do their best learning through words in a book and learn more through or with seeing and doing and using their hands ... There is another and totally different intellectual process going on here and, since I've been thinking about it more recently (while building a banjo with my son, for instance) and talking about it with my other artist friends, I'd like to have a word, or group of words that describe what it is I'm trying to talk about. The most closely related, but not really at all correct word I have found so far is 'hueristics' http://dorsetcustomfurniture.blogspot.com/2008/07/thought-for-day-heuristics.html description here
I think I'm looking for a new word or a word I don't yet know. Please forgive my rambling and let me know if you have any suggestions .... Thanks ... dan mosheim

I am not sure there is a word for it, experience based learning or practical application of techniques are perhaps phrases that come closest to my understanding of what you mean.

Regards

Walter

danmosheim":7df2xuoa said:
Lately I have been thinking about the process of woodworking and, in my case, the related process of describing the process of doing it to the people who work for and with me. There are things that can't be easily put into words ... what does a 'beveled' edge actually look like? a 1/16th" face? three passes with the block plane? a planed and sanded bevel? How do you do or decide exactly what the next step in the process should be? In short, How Do You Make Something You Have Not Made Before???? This word, imho, also has something to do with one of the problems of formal education, that being the teaching of processes that can not easily be communicated by words on paper or in a book. Some extremely smart people also don't seem to do their best learning through words in a book and learn more through or with seeing and doing and using their hands ... There is another and totally different intellectual process going on here and, since I've been thinking about it more recently (while building a banjo with my son, for instance) and talking about it with my other artist friends, I'd like to have a word, or group of words that describe what it is I'm trying to talk about. The most closely related, but not really at all correct word I have found so far is 'hueristics' http://dorsetcustomfurniture.blogspot.com/2008/07/thought-for-day-heuristics.html description here
I think I'm looking for a new word or a word I don't yet know. Please forgive my rambling and let me know if you have any suggestions .... Thanks ... dan mosheim

Can you give your best sentence-long (or paragraph long, if you must) definition of the word you're looking for? Your passage above seems to be talking of many things, and it's hard to differentiate your "context" from the meaning you're trying to encapsulate.

BugBear

I'm not sure I really follow what you're after (other than a word or words to describe something - it's the "something" the eludes me).

Are you wanting to explain to others the thought process you go through to design a piece of furniture and how you are going to make it?

Do you want them to learn the though process or just appreciate that when you say "???????" (<- they being the word/s) they know that you are chewing things over mentally?

"Thinking" is a long established word to describe the process of thinking about something.

Pedagogy is the art or science of being a teacher. The term generally refers to strategies of instruction, or a style of instruction.

Any use?

Brendan

My wife, who is a primary school teacher, says that someone who learns by 'doing' is known as a 'kinaesthetic learner'.

HTH,
C

chris_d":1r4dn5ny said:
My wife, who is a primary school teacher, says that somone who learns by 'doing' is known as a 'kinaesthetic learner'.

HTH,
C

Not heard that phrase before, think I'd rather be an apprentice. ( I can spell that :lol: )

xy

joesoap":2zpozuij said:
Why use a litle word when a big one will do???

Suggestions ? Yeah , get a life !

Big words are sometimes capable of conveying subtlety of meaning that cannot be expressed through little words.

Learning and personal and professional development are important parts of having a meaningful life.

I would call this 'Experiential Learning' - learning by doing. There is a vast amount written about it as it is one of the hotter topics in education at the moment. All tied up with life long learning et.al.

I've been researching it to help my wife with her Masters in education so I think I've got it right :)

I hadn't heard the expression "Experiential learning" but that is what I meant by experience based learning. (I'm off to research it now)

Jamesc":2y2y6npj said:
I would call this 'Experiential Learning' - learning by doing. There is a vast amount written about it as it is one of the hotter topics in education at the moment. All tied up with life long learning et.al.

.... and to think I retired from a life working in education just to get away from this sort of thing :(
(but, yes, James, that's the phrase that seems to be most appropriate to what's being asked.)

Brittleheart":3nnqd4nf said:
I hadn't heard the expression "Experiential learning" but that is what I meant by experience based learning. (I'm off to research it now)

isnt that generally described as OJT or "on the job training."

dickm":p6uirws5 said:
.... and to think I retired from a life working in education just to get away from this sort of thing :(

I left school at 18 and thought I'd never have to look at this sort of thing again. However my wife is taking a degree in education at evening classes and as I'm the more internet literate of the two of us I've helped out finding research papers. I've picked up a fair bit along the way, reckon I'll be looking for my honory degree soon :D

Regards

James

danmosheim":2j23sm42 said:
I suggest you invest in a Woodworkers Book (Digest) to find out more info on bevels....they can be whatever size you need.
The old timers working in the 1800`s (Foxfire Books)made things they needed ,just because they were not available there in the hills.(America)
You might also buy or go to a library and get a Luitiers book (Building String instruments) then you could use the right words....

Latest posts

Back