Nearly got scammed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That £2 would of been just the start , I had a phone call yesterday from a number I didn’t recognise - it was a pre recorded message advising me ghat my Amazon prime membership was going to be auto renewed at £79 or thereabouts and to select option 1 if I wanted to cancel it. The funny thing was I had actually cancelled it that morning..within a few minutes of listening to this message and hanging up I had another call from another unknown number and I simply ignored it . There is always some low life scxx ready to take your money and it makes me so angry..
Sounds like the exact same one I got, but I wasted about 1/2 an hour of their time 'winding them up'. No loss to me as I wasn't doing anything.

That really hightlights the issue of scamming, I could understand if it was for the chance to win a holiday in Clacton or Skegness but for tupperware !!

Just trust no one and accept that whatever you want in life it will cost you, there are no freebies to be had and when offered the chance to win anything just view them as someone dangling a carrot or a juicy maggot for someone to take the bait.
Yup, as they say; "If you ain't innit, you won't win anyfink'.

Got a call from Microsoft who told me my pc was infected, thankfully they were going to sort it out for me. Hang on a sec I have a weak bladder and need to use the bathroom, would you mind hanging on.. no problem.
then told me to go to pc which needs booting up, explained it was a really old pc that took ages to boot up.. would they mind waiting.. no problem.
went and made a cup of tea.
Back on phone after another 10 mins, I told them I was embarrassed at how long it was taking to boot up.. would they mind ringing back later, .. no problem, what sort of time?
I suggested they should ring back in 15 mins and try to continue with the scam then. They didnt ring back.
That was rude of them! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Scammed by a parking app - in a new town, late for meeting, dark, wet.

Search for the app on the car park sign. Says it wants a £1 to set up the account - no problem.

Next day bank alert me to two dubious additional transactions - both below £100. Fortunately these were both blocked and credit card reissued.

What did I learn - normally I am fairly cautious - you are more likely to be a victim if you are in a relatively stressful situation.

Fortunately no long term issues - but a reminder to be vigilant at all times.

Scammed by a parking app - in a new town, late for meeting, dark, wet.

Search for the app on the car park sign. Says it wants a £1 to set up the account - no problem.

Next day bank alert me to two dubious additional transactions - both below £100. Fortunately these were both blocked and credit card reissued.

What did I learn - normally I am fairly cautious - you are more likely to be a victim if you are in a relatively stressful situation.

Fortunately no long term issues - but a reminder to be vigilant at all times.
One of the newer scams is a fake Q R code on car park machines..which makes you think of the so called cashless society…

We(I) am now getting repeat phone calls purporting to be about 2 suspicious transactions on my bank account. one for a smallish figure and one for over a thousand.
Is an old scam, but keeps cropping back up.

Which i basically ignore so the phone hangs up and they'll no doubt try again later.
Normally, unless im waiting on a delivery, I ignore all calls from a number i dont recognize. So I let it ring, then goes through to the automated answering machine bit, and usually at that point they hang up.

If you answer it tells them that number is 'live'; and they should try again, or pass on those details to the next scammer. If you let it ring out, or ring then the answering machine, probably as long as its an automated voice and not your own, they seem to tend not to call back.

From the 'scam baiting' vids on you tube, you get the gist of where these calls are coming from, but it always shocks me that if the scambaiter manages to access their office cctv, many of the scam callers look to be a range from teenagers to young women.

I have a mobile number and a landline which comes with my Virgin broadband package. Friends know not to call the landline and now nobody ever uses that number except scammers. It got to the point a while ago where I was so fed up of it ringing that I pulled the plug out of the socket. Very therapeutic that was.

I have a mobile number and a landline which comes with my Virgin broadband package. Friends know not to call the landline and now nobody ever uses that number except scammers. It got to the point a while ago where I was so fed up of it ringing that I pulled the plug out of the socket. Very therapeutic that was.
I put my land line phone in a shoebox under the stairs , disconnected , 5 years ago , Not used it since, Bliss.

Sorry for delay just sorting out my refund from Temu not . My wife had a call the other day from some lady trying to sell her life insurance she told the lady she did not need any as she was dead but the caller carried on with her sales pitch showing that a lot of cold caller workers don't listen to what the recipient is saying or don't understand the language
I told one of the "you've had an accident" ones that my injuries were so bad I had been decapitated, didn't miss a beat. You can have some fun if you are having a dull morning.

I like the ones where the scammer calls your landline & tries to get into your PC, by asking you to switch it on, then download a programme, then asks if you have a mobile & asks for the number, in case the landline cuts off. They then ring the mobile so you can't check, then they ask you to go into another room where you can't see what they're doing - now this is the best part; HOW THE HECK DO THEY KNOW IF YOU HAVE? Stay in the PC room & play 'Gotcha' or similar! :ROFLMAO:

I had a phone call from someone claiming to be from Virginmedia. I had just enough time to say **** off before putting the phone down. The trouble is some of these scams are getting better and sooner or later many of us are going to get caught.

I’d like to set up an account with our phone provider so that anyone not on our contact list gets charged £50 a minute if they call us. I’m sure they won’t agree but strangely they will collect this kind of fee if we press a button on our phone to a scammer. How does this work? It doesn’t matter whether it’s BT, Virginmedia or Sky etc, they’ll all bill you if you get caught out with one of these scams.
A friend of mine refused to pay his BT telephone bill (thus was about 29 years ago) because somehow scammers had managed to hack his line and all calls he made were at outrageous prices. He argued that by collecting the money on behalf of these scammers, BT were complicit in the fraud. I don't remember the outcoe but it seemed like a sensible argument to me.

K

Timely thread - just this morning I narrowly avoided giving £6k to a credit card fraudster. It was route 1 fraud - they purport to be from the CC fraud team, they list a fraudulent transaction and confirm that it wasn't you. Then they tell you you'll get a text from the CC issuer with a 6-digit passcode and you should read it out 'for authentication'. Of course, who would fall for that?? Only the elderly and vulnerable, right? Er, and me. I could say I was in bed sick, I was half-asleep, I was expecting an ID-withheld call, but I fell for it. I twigged soon enough to block it, but it was bloody close.

Back