mortise chisel for cordless drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mortice chisels are relatively inexpensive, and I haven't yet found the gospel that says you cannot hit them with a hammer. Of course they will never fit into a mortice chiselholder

BUT the tiny points will splay as it's hammered in, so a few taps and you have to stone them flush again

Too many taps, the splayed points are gonna lock the mortice bit into the wood.

In my mind, and from past experience, a hand drill is difficult to use enough force to push the mortice chisel into the wood,

The hand drill version is only shown for the first few frames and then all the rest are in bench or freestanding machines so the the performance is suspect. However I could see it possibly working if a hammer drill was used rather than the usual drill. Keeping the drill aligned while doing it would be a challenge for most people that can barely drill a perpendicular hole at the best of times. It would have to be made of the best materials and pretty beefy to handle the forces of a hammer drill too.

Pete

The hand drill version is only shown for the first few frames and then all the rest are in bench or freestanding machines so the the performance is suspect. However I could see it possibly working if a hammer drill was used rather than the usual drill. Keeping the drill aligned while doing it would be a challenge for most people that can barely drill a perpendicular hole at the best of times. It would have to be made of the best materials and pretty beefy to handle the forces of a hammer drill too.

Pete
No, The hammer in hammer drill is for the bit NOT the chisel. It would be just as useless, only louder.

No, The hammer in hammer drill is for the bit NOT the chisel. It would be just as useless, only louder.

All said above, but I seem to remember something akin to a square mortise type point chisel thing being available for SDS.
This has to be 20 years ago, but i cant remember where i saw it. It sticks in the back dark recesses of my mind it was an axminster book. But it seems sure a ridiculous concept it couldnt have been.

Maybe it was a practical joke type of article.
Years ago there was a bike tyre manufacturer. In fact this is the article(Note its the April edition)
http://www.onzaoctopus.com/

The tyre wasn't actually a tyre, but rather a pic of one of those soap holders you used to see in the 70's so it stuck to the soap, and you could then stick the soap to the tiles.
People fell for it. I think I was one of them :LOL:

All said above, but I seem to remember something akin to a square mortise type point chisel thing being available for SDS.
This has to be 20 years ago, but i cant remember where i saw it. It sticks in the back dark recesses of my mind it was an axminster book. But it seems sure a ridiculous concept it couldnt have been.

Maybe it was a practical joke type of article.
Years ago there was a bike tyre manufacturer. In fact this is the article(Note its the April edition)
http://www.onzaoctopus.com/

The tyre wasn't actually a tyre, but rather a pic of one of those soap holders you used to see in the 70's so it stuck to the soap, and you could then stick the soap to the tiles.
People fell for it. I think I was one of them :LOL:
I think you may be talking about a square metal broach for a hammer drill, those are real

Latest posts

Back