Model Workshop Sander Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart little

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, at last I've got around to building this machine after 2 / 3 years 'thinking' about it. I threw out the first idea of using an AC motor (from a Ferm tile saw) & went with a 24v DC + mains adapter & speed / booster controller. The drum is a 3" one from O'Skool woodworking on Amazon, suitably modified by adding a brass shim at one end & turning a new input drive shaft.

Attachments

• IMG_5431.JPG
    IMG_5431.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5433.JPG
    IMG_5433.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5435.JPG
    IMG_5435.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5434.JPG
    IMG_5434.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
Well done ! ... it looks to be a more robust and advanced improvement on the likes of Stewmac's - "Luthiers Friend Sanding Station".
By the way, how do you control the thickness?

That looks great Stuart. I've been looking at various options on the internet, and collecting ideas with a view to making one. I've (luckily) got a mate with a metalworking workshop who is going to help.

That looks great Stuart. I've been looking at various options on the internet, and collecting ideas with a view to making one. I've (luckily) got a mate with a metalworking workshop who is going to help.
Another way is a drum mounted on a pillar drill and a movable fence. I used that about 20 years ago to make tapered laminations for archery bows. Limited as to how wide you can go however. I was doing them about 50mm wide but I reckon it would do up to 75 ok. I quess something similar could be done on a bobbin sander also.
Regards
John

Another way is a drum mounted on a pillar drill and a movable fence. I used that about 20 years ago to make tapered laminations for archery bows. Limited as to how wide you can go however. I was doing them about 50mm wide but I reckon it would do up to 75 ok. I quess something similar could be done on a bobbin sander also.
Regards
John
I did try this method, but working with small strips, (model ship planks) I found it awkward as one has to 'fight' gravity, the strip insisting on working it's way downwards. I also considered making a jig to use with my bobbin sander, but again, only useful on bigger pieces, so this was my best option.
Although the ultimate, by all accounts, would have been a Jim Byrnes saw from the US, but at a premium price now sadly NLA, only used ones at EXTORTIONATE asking prices.

Back