Mobile Machine Base

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am wanting to buy a mobile machine base--one that can swivel 360 degrees. To be used for bandsaw / belt & disc sander etc. Can you give me a recommendation?
(Incidentally I bought a mobile machine bass many years ago that only goes 'up & down' and to turn in another direction is virtually a 'no-no'!)

I am wanting to buy a mobile machine base--one that can swivel 360 degrees.

Maybe be aware that swivelling can be done by two methods: two fixed and two swivelling castors (think forklift) or four swivelling castors (think shopping trolley). The latter can do a full rotation within its own diagonal. The former needs more space. That might be a consideration in any potential purchase.

Make your own - I have a mobile drill-press stand and a bandsaw stand - both are constructed to be at bench height for their tables and the base frames have storage space (the bandsaw has a Bisley multi-drawer steel unit built in which gives, obviously, lots of useful drawers but also some weight for stability) I've used 4 rotating castors on each one, all with brakes (Screwfix supplied)

I'm starting one for the belt and disc, hopefully going to make it far more versatile/usable,
and def going with the same Holmgren design again, (but steel)

Any machine what's relying on braked casters is a hazard IMO
Must be rock solid
.Every thing a bit shakey is asking for trouble, enough that you'll take your eye off the ball,
hopefully not hurting yourself in the process like the helpful video below.
Screenshot-2021-4-20 MY PLANER ACCIDENT - YouTube.png

1723966125627.png

I have these from Amazon fitted to the legs of my Axminster bandsaw which came with 8mm holes in the bottom of the steel legs because they
a. raise the overall height by only 3"
b. the entire diameter of the top roller bearing bears against the underside of the legs
c. they each lock both wheel and caster movement

Last edited:
c. they each lock both wheel and caster movement

How do you reach the two at the back when the machine is against a wall with something either side of it?

When mounting the castors, you have to consider how to make all four of the brakes accessible. It is quite easy to end up with two of them under the body of the machine unless the castor mounts are on outriggers that give 360 degree access.

Someone should market a set of four central locking castors on Amazon, which come with a little remote zapper (whose battery costs more than the machine the castors are mounted on).

My larger machines stand in line to one side of my workspace and get moved sideways to an open space for ease of use. The only ones next to at wall are a scroll saw, drill presses and grinders.

Latest posts

Back