Mitre saw blade - replacement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starfish

Established Member
Reaction score
I wondered what makes of replacement blade people favour - I have a 12" mitre
Makita blade
I see Trend, Saxton and Rennie all have blades a little cheaper than the makita. I looking for 60+ teach for medium to fine 305mm with 30mm bore

as a diyer , tried a few blades freud, dewalt etc and for cost and performance i now only use saxton blades

Seem to give as good a finish as the Freud blades , but much cheaper , and infact i had the freud blades sharpened and that was more expensive then buying new and no real difference

I use them in a dewalt 250mm mitre saw and a Circular saw

https://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/reci...5TzyJbLfZkXljK__BzzIYpeYJ_itQXCIaAn3qEALw_wcB

there was a review on youtube of various blades

I have a Bosch with the same size blade, I only buy Freud Blades for that and all my other saws,

I always have mine sharpened by my local sharpener before use, they seem to cut a lot better,

The only exception is for a an 8" sliding mitre saw I use cheap trend blades if I am doing a job with nonslip decking as that stuff eats blades

I do believe that a lot of choice is linked to the wood you cut and the type of cuts

D

Thanks always wondered what other blades are like have mostly used original makita or Bosch. Mostly used for softwood or hardwood cross cut and the odd bit of ply

People talk about "drinking the green koolaid" to criticise the premium prices of Festool kit with their distinctive green brand.
Freud are worse with their trademark red blades.

Put a Freud blade alongside a real trade or industrial sawblade and you'll realise they are a very inferior product.
Festool blades made by Leitz are actually a very good product and I'd say fairly priced.
Freud blade next to my original Metabo mitre saw blade, the Metabo is much more substantial, with far larger carbide teeth (= more resharpenings).
Bosch blades are also nicely made, their blue painted versions have been my go to for aluminium blades for the tracksaw and the mitre saw.

So be open to the idea that the original branded Makita blade may well be a good one and worth the money over a cheap, including Freud, alternative.
If you have a good saw sharpening service, I entirely agree that a quality sharpen on a good blade can make it even better than new.

I have a Saxton blade on my Kapex and it works fine so tried some Saxton blades in my track saw and they were awful :dunno:

When you see the difference in the amount of carbide on the Saxton blades teeth v the original Festool blades you can see where the extra money goes.

People talk about "drinking the green koolaid" to criticise the premium prices of Festool kit with their distinctive green brand.
Freud are worse with their trademark red blades.

Put a Freud blade alongside a real trade or industrial sawblade and you'll realise they are a very inferior product.
Festool blades made by Leitz are actually a very good product and I'd say fairly priced.
Freud blade next to my original Metabo mitre saw blade, the Metabo is much more substantial, with far larger carbide teeth (= more resharpenings).
Bosch blades are also nicely made, their blue painted versions have been my go to for aluminium blades for the tracksaw and the mitre saw.

So be open to the idea that the original branded Makita blade may well be a good one and worth the money over a cheap, including Freud, alternative.
If you have a good saw sharpening service, I entirely agree that a quality sharpen on a good blade can make it even better than new.
I have no complaints about the Makita blades they cut very well. For my track saw I don’t think I’d change but for the mitre saw will have a look at the metabo and Bosch blades

The Makita blades are fine once you get rid of the anti oxidation coating. I've had my makita for 24 year's and it still cuts fine one sharpening later. Brilliant compound saw. Festo ?
Overpriced garbage. Yes, I did give it a go. Killed the orbital within a year. Threw everything else away except the vacuum which is on its last legs. Take a Festo apart and you find out why they don't last.
Obsolescence they charge extra for. Parts for older models ? Lol.

Latest posts

Back