Mike Pekovich and his Muntins

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeS

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Sorry becoming a perpetual topic starter here. Taking inspiration on a small panel that I've been working on and like mike Pekovich's work very much.

On many his panels he seems to use "muntins" to break them up. What is interesting is that he uses the muntins both with and across the grain (I initially assume they would run with the grain). In larger work or even in panels of this small decorative size...do these serve any purpose at all or are they purely decorative? I assume the best way to do it would be to glue them on after a door is assembled making use of a nice shooting board to make them nice and tight?

Any thoughts before I make router cuts through my only piece of wood which matches the cabinet?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-22 at 20.59.16.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-22 at 20.59.16.png
    1.9 MB
Sorry to be pedantic but they are mullions not muntins. I had to Google it to find the difference and muntins divide panes of glass!

I’ve followed a few of the projects from his book “The why and how of woodworking” and they are decorative.

IMG_1095.jpeg

I'm not sure Google is always a reliable friend. :)

As I have always understood it, in the UK, Muntins are the verticals that divide panels in such as doors and chests. Mullions relate mainly to windows.

Latest posts

Back