Makita DHP458 and DHP481 drills - Anyone used both?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDavidRoberts

Established Member
Reaction score
I know this is a long-shot, however worth a try.
My gearbox for dhp458 is slowly going/acting up and I know the drill won't really last for long, but that's ok as I have used&abused that drill and used it as mixer almost every other day and it has given me a good service for 4years.

I'm slowly looking for replacement and would like to go brushless as my other makita tools are, however there's nothing really new from Makita range , only the DHP481z which is like 3years old and is their top of the line drill currently.

Maybe anyone has used both the dhp458 and dhp481 and can compare them?

-is it a serious improvement over the 458 with it being brushless and the power output being bumped up from 88 to 115nm, or it's more or less the same stuff just a tiny bit better? what other differences , pros&cons there are?

Thinking whatever to get the dhp481 or try to stretch out my dying 458 a little bit more in hopes makita releases something new very soon. Not really looking for suggestions for other drills/makes&models as I know what's out there -just wanted a comparison between the 2.

Yes, had both; the 481 is my current drill. I'd highly recommend It! It certainly seems more powerful than its predecessor and being more compact, better balanced and so more comfortable in use. I seem to get more work out of the battery too.

I find the ergonomics of makita cordless tools suits me better than most others, and as I have the batteries stick with Makita. However I would move on to something else if a significant advantage could be had.

I've used my DHP481 daily since I bought it in August last year and the power still surprises me.

LJM - do you find it in any way difficult to change modes (eg. hammer to screwdriver), or adjust screwdriver torque settings with your 481? Occasionally it feels like there's some resistance with my drill.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

LJM":133nl9dk said:
Yes, had both; the 481 is my current drill. I'd highly recommend It! It certainly seems more powerful than its predecessor and being more compact, better balanced and so more comfortable in use. I seem to get more work out of the battery too.

I find the ergonomics of makita cordless tools suits me better than most others, and as I have the batteries stick with Makita. However I would move on to something else if a significant advantage could be had.
Thank you sir,
saw some good offer for a used 481 on ebay and purchased it, Have to see what's the hype around it myself :D

I'd be very unhappy if my electric drill/driver only lasted four years, still on the same DeWalt 18v from over twenty years ago, built two house's and countless sheds and deck's.

Buying second hand you could get one that has been "used&abused and used as a mixer almost every other day and given good service for 4years" :wink:

Mike

MikeJhn":37uoj18j said:
I'd be very unhappy if my electric drill/driver only lasted four years, still on the same DeWalt 18v from over twenty years ago, built two house's and countless sheds and deck's.

Buying second hand you could get one that has been "used&abused and used as a mixer almost every other day and given good service for 4years" :wink:

Mike

I know some proper roofers who change their stuff at least every 2 years due to abuse their tools go through :D

What's an un-proper roofer?

And probably that's the gear that ends up on e-bay.

Mike

MikeJhn":3ilojxok said:
What's an un-proper roofer?
The un-proper roofer we used was a complete silly billy, so there must be a difference.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Oh dear, what's a "complete silly billy", as opposed to a incomplete silly billy?

Mike

MrDavidRoberts":68bidbr2 said:
MikeJhn":68bidbr2 said:

Mike

I know some proper roofers who change their stuff at least every 2 years due to abuse their tools go through :D

You are right there tools are used in all weathers and have been dropped from a great height many times why on earth would you want to buy one second hand?

powertools":fp0xpsgd said:
MrDavidRoberts":fp0xpsgd said:
MikeJhn":fp0xpsgd said:

Mike

You are right there tools are used in all weathers and have been dropped from a great height many times why on earth would you want to buy one second hand?

Well...I hope it isn't a roofers tool I bought :D &
- they sell for £130 New for bare tool,
- They go up to £110 for used ones
- I got mine for £38 described as in good condition, so worth a shot, in worst case It can go straight back to ebay and sell for more.

When I first started out, all I had was 2nd hand tools from fleabay, worked out fine & you could always sell them for more than you bought them for when you wanted something new.

Life of a tightwad.

@Mark A

No, no difficulty changing modes; suitable resistance and positive engagement.

I'm amazed that makita put a plastic gear housing in their flagship drill.
This guy took it apart and was generally very impressed though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY7XO5H_6HY

I've been wavering over this drill for ages. I'd really like a drill with the same build quality but just a lighter design, say 1.8Kg and 60Nm torq.

-Neil

Neil S":2hmego3t said:
I'm amazed that makita put a plastic gear housing in their flagship drill.
This guy took it apart and was generally very impressed though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY7XO5H_6HY

I've been wavering over this drill for ages. I'd really like a drill with the same build quality but just a lighter design, say 1.8Kg and 60Nm torq.

-Neil
Well it's not 1960 anymore... :twisted:

Neil S":2ue07mq3 said:

-Neil
I think the DHP480 is of similar construction but has a smaller engine that knocks off about a Kg of weight. And it doesn't come with the handle and depth stop IIRC.

Latest posts

Back