Lumberjack SS405 16" Variable Speed Scroll Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As above...

Any opinions, please?
Personally I wouldn't buy it. Basically it is a far east made clone that is sold under very many different brands, like many others they all have little differences such as colour different switch knobs, covers and added gadgets but like the one you mention they are all based on a standard model that has been available for many years.
The model you mention has lots of little extras to 'spice' it up and make it look 'pretty' over a competitors version but is use you won't find it any better to use than cheaper models of the same design.

If you just want the saw for normal woodworking then this will do the job - however you would probably be better to but a cheaper model of the same design or get a used model of which many are available for little money.

If you want the saw to do 'proper' fretwork (scrollsawing) with many internal or delicate cuts then you will find these far east made machines hard work. Now there are people who do magnificent work with these cheap machines but then they would do the same with a simple hand frame but for most of us we would soon get fed up with the awkward blade changing and other issues so much so that lot's of people get fed up and ditch the hobby which is a shame.

In my opinion it's better to buy a second hand quality machine that you will find so pleasant to use that you enjoy using it without the frustrations of the cheap models.

I have three saws, a cheap far east model (cost £35) which works fine for general woodworking but useless for proper fretwork. I have a British made Diamond which is superbly made but fairly noisy and suffers with vibration and blade changing is hard work. I also have a Hegner which I purchased 25 years ago and is superb, I use this one most of all - it is very quiet running, smooth and vibration free with blade changing that can be done quickly with your eyes closed.

There are of course many other quality machines that others swear are as good as or better than a Hegner but be aware that some makers also offer cheaply made far east made, paint them in their colours and stick their brand name on fooling you into thinking it's a quality product - it isn't!

I give advice on buying a saw on my fretworking website. https://sites.google.com/view/scrimpers-fretworking-site/help-advice/buying-a-saw

Personally I wouldn't buy it....

In that case, neither will I!

There are a couple of your beloved Hegners on the you-know-what site at present, each around the £200 mark.
Tempting. If only they were a bit cheaper....

The intention is to use jewellers blades (for marquetry pad/packet work) instead of the hand-held scalpel/window method, but it's a hell of an outlay considering I've no experience!
I looked at your two scroll saw videos last night, which confirmed that the cheapo pinned-blade only jobs (even with pinless adaptors) are not the answer.

Out of interest, there's also a Diamond up for grabs (if you're interested) and a much-respected Delta ripe for restoration...but I mean restoration! I'm not sure I'm going to live that long!

Anyway, thank you for your response and help. Much appreciated, sir.

Back