Looking for some information on this hammer hand drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cevad58

Reaction score
I was recently given a carrier bag full of old egg wisk type hand drills. Among the usual suspects was this skeletal hammer drill. The only identifying markings are text that reads:
E-KON-O-ME Patent No.24938

A.jpg

Only ref I could find for E-KON-O-ME was for an antique fruit crate from the 1920’s. Other searches for hand operated hammer or impact drills are all with enclosed workings similar to the old Raw plug types.

Until I discovered the above embossed data I was wondering if it could have been something put together by an apprentice perhaps. I still wonder that and perhaps whoever made it used the above data for fun. Perhaps the Patent number is a birth date or date of completion of project. Maybe it was a prototype but now I‘m obviously clutching at straws.

B.jpg

It does seem more of a home build/one off project than something in mass production. Its blued rather than painted and there are some machining marks in the more visible areas. The handle is cast and there is a smaller casting at the chuck end.

Appreciate any info or pointers

Thanks

Latest posts

Back