Lathe electrics problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootstrap bill

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have an Arundel K series lathe which has been nothing but perfect until now!

If it was anything but an electrical issue I'd be alright but I don't have a clue with this, I'm hoping someone can help.

Basically the contactor in the starter box isn't latching, if you press the contact down the lathe spins. Is this a duff contactor or is it likely to be something else? A replacement danfoss unit is around £70 but there's a multitude of cheap ones on eBay but I don't understand all the ratings! I've attached pictures of the unit in question.

Looking on Screwfix there's this starter box
https://www.screwfix.com/p/hylec-dms1-11d-s-automatic-dol-electric-motor-starter-5-5kw/8911g

I know there's no stop on this but would the stop from the box I have work?

I'm so confused!

Attachments

• IMG_20240812_173456052.jpg
    IMG_20240812_173456052.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240812_173445700.jpg
    IMG_20240812_173445700.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
If you are a novice to electrics, it is much safer to pay an electrician to sort it for you.
Worst case you replace the DOL starter completely.
As you see, a new one only costs £35 - £50 plus not more than an hours labour to swap it out.

The screwfix one is the right type but designed for bigger motors than on your lathe, so is probably not suitable. Sparky will sort it.

Yes it should be fine to reconnect the existing estop button to a new starter, if that isn't the cause of the problem of course.

The contactor is held in by a magnetic coil which is energised when the contacts are closed. The stop switch breaks the circuit to the coil, allowing the main contacts top return to the open position.
I suspect either the coil has failed or the contacts which energise the coil have corroded so the coil isn't being energised. Or, there is dust/wood shavings in the box which are interfering with the contacts.

Or, there is dust/wood shavings in the box which are interfering with the contacts.
A very relevant comment. The starter box is full of wood dust in the photos.
It absolutely should not be.
Cables in and out of the box should be made with cable glands for dust proof seals and any holes left open after wiring changes should be blocked off with rubber blanking plugs sold at an electrical counter.

You could / should blow the whole box out with compressed air while working the contacts manually (unplugged please), but that doesn't guarantee a fix if the starter has been in use in this condition.

Latest posts

Back