Large diameter recess (blind hole) in plywood.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCEnforcer

Reaction score
I need to cut/drill/bore a large diameter recess in plywood. The recess needs to be about 10mm deep.

Basically I am making a drawer to hold numerous round containers and I don't want them to move around. A CNC would be perfect - if I had one - so I need the best way to cut a 60mm diameter hole at 10mm deep. I was thinking a forstner bit but I am not sure of the "flatness" of the bottom of the hole.

Oh, and I have got to repeat the exercise a few hundred times.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

How about two layers of ply one with holes with another underneath?

Pete

What Pete said.
Use 12 mm ply, cut the sheets with a hole saw with the pilot drill removed. Glue a 4 mm sheet of ply to it, job done.

Use a router and a cutter with a bearing guide or else a bush (more control over the depth with a bush) and make up a jig with the circles cut out and the ability to hold the ply where you want it. If you've got hundreds it's worth spending a couple of hours (if needed) making up a jig, it'll make the work so much quicker. (and of course you can easily repeat it indefinitely if needed.)

I'd go with the two sheets of ply solution. But I'd also go for a hole saw over a router, if you've got a few hundred to do. Not sure how removing the pilot drill would help, unless you're able to use a pillar drill.

A grid of thin strips will also hold the containers in place or dowels/blocks of the right size.

Pete

John Brown":2he2keyh said:
I'd go with the two sheets of ply solution. But I'd also go for a hole saw over a router, if you've got a few hundred to do. Not sure how removing the pilot drill would help, unless you're able to use a pillar drill.

I thought he wanted the discs, but on re reading it he wants the holes, so leave the pilot drill alone :roll: :roll:

Latest posts

Back