Kreg Router Lift

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only information i can find -

Motor Pads: for Porter Cable 7518 (Motor adapter pads for the Milwaukee 5625, Porter Cable 690/890, Bosch 1617/1618, Craftsman 17542/17540/28190, and DeWalt 618 are available separately from Kreg.)

Having very limited knowledge with Routers would the Porter Cable work in the uk if i fitted a uk plug?

As far as I'm aware Porter Cable routers are voltage specific. Some years ago Rutlands sold some Porter Cable tools - I bought a PC router which was actually sold as a Porter Cable/Flex where they couldn't specify which I would receive - I actually received a Flex model (red not grey) which was (is) a 240v version.

Misterfish

The Porter Cable, like most American power tools, is 110V only. You could use it with a yellow isolating transformer, by changing the plug to the European type (16 amp yellow, round pin). At least one of the regulars on here imported one and uses it that way, as they're well thought of.

As I said though, without its base the Porter Cable's motor body is a simple cylinder, and gets used for all sorts of jigs (Pantorouter, etc.) as it's easy to mount. If one of the other ones of similar design (Bosch, Draper, etc.) has the same diameter, it ought to work too. Why not email Porter Cable (I think it's a brand of Sears, but there are some Americans on here who can advise) and see what the diameter is supposed to be?

The only other issue, with a router that's close in diameter but not exact, is that the spindle might not be centred in the router lift. You'd have to judge that for yourself.

Googling, incidentally, shows that you can now buy the motor only (part# 75182) in several places, including eBay. This site gives the motor diameter as 4.2":
Code:
Product Specifications:
Power:           120 VAC, 60 Hz
Horsepower:      3-1/4 HP
Amps:            15 A
Speed:           RPM
Motor Diameter:  4.2"
Collets:         1/2"
Base:            7" Round
Length:          11"
Width:           7"
Height:          11"
Weight:          14.5 lbs.

So you could measure the Bosch and the Draper. If either is slightly smaller, any competent metalworking shop ought to be able to make you up a sleeve to bring it to 4.2"!

Cheers,

E.

Latest posts

Back