Kapex Accuracy out the box?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Co1

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
How accurate is the Kapex out the box? Did it come calibrated and how repeatable and consistent are they? They’re not cheap by any stretch, but I’m hoping that with the price it comes with top notch accuracy, will I be disappointed?!!

Cheers
Col

Last edited:
Kapex 120, lives mostly in my van ready for action.

Kapex 120.jpg

I've had my Kapex 120 240v for more than 10 years now and I bought it new. I've never had to adjust a single setting on it in all that time.
Yes, they ain't cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but for accurate repetitive work, they are second to none IMHO.

Last edited:
Please describe what you mean when you use the word 'calibrated'.

If I buy a set of calibrated scales, it will come with a certificate that is part of a chain that (in theory) ultimately leads back to the Internatioal Standard kilogram.

What do you want calibrated on your saw?

Mine needed a slight adjustment out of the box but has been accurate ever since (10+ years).

It is a nice saw, I think details like the dust extraction, work clamp, angle finder etc make it worth the extra.

I would assume he means that when set to cut @ 90 degrees, it is actually 90 degrees....45 is actually 45 and so on...?

Exactly. I know it’s not the literal phrase of the word calibration, but it’s seems like this is the vernacular used all over the internet for confirming accuracy.

Exactly. I know it’s not the literal phrase of the word calibration, but it’s seems like this is the vernacular used all over the internet for confirming accuracy.
I have the Kapex 60, it’s all I have sensible room for.
Outstanding accuracy straight out the box.

They’re not cheap by any stretch, but I’m hoping that with the price it comes with top notch accuracy, will I be disappointed?!!
It is very overpriced considering it is just a 10 inch mitre saw and the accuracy will be no better than other good brands, so is there any reason why you are looking at this specific saw ?

It is very overpriced considering it is just a 10 inch mitre saw and the accuracy will be no better than other good brands, so is there any reason why you are looking at this specific saw ?
I’ve owned an fair few different brand power tools over the years, but I’m blown away by the quality and ergonomics of my Festool TS and router, so hoping the Kapex is a good replacement for my old Makita mitre station. Makita and dewalt of late haven’t impressed me, hence looking at Festool again. I am generally quite happy to pay top dollar for a tool if I think it will literally last me a lifetime!!

it is just a 10 inch mitre saw and the accuracy will be no better than other good brands,
I wouldn't dispute that argument.

I had access to a brand new 305mm Makita on site last week, couldn't get on with it, very clunky and awkward to use, along with other issues, so dragged my 120 out.

And adding up things, for instance as @Doug71 outlines:
details like the dust extraction, work clamp, angle finder etc make it worth the extra.
And the statement from @Co1
quite happy to pay top dollar for a tool if I think it will literally last me a lifetime!!
Then Factor in the warranty, mine is over 12 years old and never let me down, and in view of the fact it has a hard workshop and on site life, I wouldn't even consider another option.

Other's will have a different perspective, but this is mine.

Thanks for the feedback, can you recommend a few to have a look at? I’m lucky enough to have a couple of local dealers who, between them, pretty much stock all the major brands so I can go and have a look at a few examples.

I have just brought a Bosch axial glide, the only reason was to get my mitre saw bench up close to the wall and the choice was this Bosch or something with forward facing rails. I soon realised why they called it a glide because it is just so smooth with that hinge arrangement although the laser light was a joke, two fuzzy lines and you cut between them, now solved with a shadow line and you get to see the actual cut line. My old Bosch was twelve years old and still cutting bang on so many saws do seem to last these days. I agree that the Festool tracksaws are well known for there dust extraction but not as good on the mitre saws, my new Bosch makes more dust than the old one due to it's odd add on collection duct.
The one feature I cannot accept on any tool is a vertical handle arrangement, just very odd when you think of how you grip a set of handlebars so that rules the Kapex right out for me. Many brands seem to now have saws with the handle fixed horizontal or vertical, my old Bosch actually could adjust to either and the new one is fixed horizontal but why not make it adjustable so the customer can decide.

Thanks for the feedback, can you recommend a few to have a look at?
Having been down this route I now have the 12 inch Bosch axial glide which can be got for just under a grand. I did look at others with forward facing rails but the Bosch hinge system won as there are no rails poking out forward or backward.

Thanks Spectric, I appreciate the info. I can try both so I’ll have a look at the Busch as well. I actually quite like the vertical handle as I can use either hand with ease.

The handle orientation thing is down to personal preference, I like the handle in line with the blade, to me it feels like using a handsaw and as everything is working in line it feels like there is less chance of deflection. I also use mine left handed probably 30% of the time and the horizontal handles often aren't great for this.

The Kapex is only a 10" blade but in the time I've had it I've rarely found myself needing extra capacity, 12" saws are big things especially if you need to move them around.

It all comes down to what you want and need from the saw, I've used a few different ones over the years and yes they all got the job done but I often make 100's of cuts a day and the Kapex somehow feels a bit more refined than most so to me is worth the extra.

Last edited:
If you do go the Bosch route then buy the shadow light which is a straightforward job with no changes to the original saw, these laser lights do seem useless and do not give clear indication of cut. Anyone remember the one that was like a washer that was part of the blade fixing bolt ?

Just seen a second hand Kapex 88e. Does anyone know if this the same as the 120, but without the spring loaded bevel hinge and the micro adjuster, or is there more?

Back