Joining temporarily

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annette

Reaction score
Hi, i hope this is ok. My dad died in 2016 and left a full workshop. Now my mum has gone I have to dispose of everything - eek! He made beautiful furniture so has left wood working machines, tools etc. Where do I start? Any advice appreciated

Sorry for your losses and it’s not easy clearing out your parents belongings. I had to do my moms flat when she had a stroke- a very painful experience as she is now in a care home and it felt like she had passed away.. there are rules regarding selling as a new member as you have to have so many posts/ messages etc . You need to list all the makes and model numbers of any machinery with the approximate age if possible and the condition . Use the search function to read previous threads of people in the same or similar situation- bereavement’s, moveing abroad , Ill health etc . Then there is Facebook marketplace or eBay / and gumtree for example . You might want to consider donating some to charity- men’s sheds for example.. good luck 🤞

Hi Annette, yes it's a difficult situation and we all feel for you.
A very similar thread was started just a couple of weeks ago by Molly38 and she attracted lots of useful tips. You can find it by searching for 'Hereford' and her username as above.
Good Luck
Brian

Hi, as above, sorry for your losses and I don’t envy your task.

The knowledge and kindness on this forum is phenomenal. With any luck someone who is a little closer may volunteer to take a look and advise the best way forward, albeit in exchange for beer tokens. A trustworthy auction house may also be an option.

I personally find selling anything tortuous - just understanding what it is you have and providing adequate detail is difficult. And that’s before some hairy bloke wades in and decides that as you are female you don’t know what you are talking about!

Apologies, possibly not much help but please feel free to PM me if you would like moral support.

Last edited:
Annette - Jester's offer is a great idea. I (and another member) did something similar for a lady local to us a few years ago. It only took a day to go through the kit and advise what was worth selling and what would be fair prices.

Three of us having helped the widow of a friend dispose of his workshop in the past year I'm very aware of how much effort is involved in this. It's not something that most people would volunteer to do twice.
I'd encourage @Annette to take up the offers of help with thanks.

The most important thing is to identify any high value items. Advice is most useful here. You will need to make the effort to list them for sale with detail to get the best return.

There are likely to be a lot of items that while useful, are not especially valuable and will take a lot of effort to sell. Try to understand the broad value of such things and be open to offers on the day from people who come to look at / buy the bigger ticket items.
Many buyers have their eyes open for extras and may be tempted.
Realistically, don't expect to get more than 20-50% of the new price of anything unless it's both valueable and in very good condition.

Gumtree, facebook and car boot sales are all options for the lower value items but facebook is full of scammers and car boot sales sadly plagued by petty theft. Ebay the best return for high value items as it reaches the biggest audience. Our for sale forum here tends to introduce you to good people but not bring the very highest prices as buyers are knowledgeable and won't overpay.

It is understandable that you may need machines to be collected by the buyer, but be aware that that will always limit the number of people interested and the cost of travelling to collect means buyers will pay less.

Back