I'm new around these parts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernSteve

New(ish) to this woodwork malarkey.
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Firstly thanks for accepting my membership enquiry.
I found my way to your door in pursuit of information about Carbide Tipped Bandsaw Blades.
I am a relatively new, but becoming highly addicted woodworker.
I still posses that air of novice motivation, excitement and generally annoying enthusiasm.
As I am sure many people do, I watch woodworking videos on YouTube.
Many of these are from the US.
I have been struggling to resaw on my Record Power Sabre 450, so set out to find what blades people were using. The Americans seem to swear by carbide tipped blades, so I set out to buy one in the UK.
I have not found a supplier yet.
I am keen to know what blades people have had resaw and veneer cutting success with in the UK and where they sourced them from.
And also if anyone is importing from the US to resell or to use themselves.
All input appreciated.
Thanks

Welcome to ukw , I know nothing of carbide tipped blades but most on here swear by tuffsaws .the more experienced will hopefully answer your post soon.

You will struggle to find carbide tips on bandsaw blades under 2” wide in Britain because they would be hideously expensive for absolutely no gain whatsoever. The blade body would crack and break long before the carbide teeth even had a chance to wear in, making it a very expensive consumable!

Americans are very easily sold gimmicks that do not actually help them do any sort of woodwork but instead take their money, this is evidenced time and time again with some of the gadgets that are peddled online, anyone with a bit of knowledge sees through it.

Your time and ultimately money would be better invested in either getting your saw to run better with a quality blade, or investing in a better saw if that is the issue.

You will struggle to find carbide tips on bandsaw blades under 2” wide in Britain because they would be hideously expensive for absolutely no gain whatsoever. The blade body would crack and break long before the carbide teeth even had a chance to wear in, making it a very expensive consumable!

Americans are very easily sold gimmicks that do not actually help them do any sort of woodwork but instead take their money, this is evidenced time and time again with some of the gadgets that are peddled online, anyone with a bit of knowledge sees through it.

Your time and ultimately money would be better invested in either getting your saw to run better with a quality blade, or investing in a better saw if that is the issue.
Cheers AgainstTheGrain -yup, I am suitably gullible at this stage. I think the Bandsaw is upto the job, 18", 16amp, plenty of ooomph for what I am doing. I think you're right in terms of running it better - precision on bearings etc and a decent blade. Someone mentioned Tuffsaws as a go to. Any advance on that recommendation?

Welcome Steve O'Dell - I can't answer your question, however. I say be mindful if you're importing from the USA as you will be caught for import duty. I made the mistake doing this some years ago.

Hi and welcome. I looked in to carbide tipped bandsaw blades a few years back. I came to the conclusion they were unnecessary, but I can’t for the life of me remember the rationale! The other main learning from that exercise was to use a blade with the correct tooth count per inch for the job.

I’ve a similar sized machine and a tuffsaws M42 3/4” 3TPI will resaw 2mm off the side of a 280mm wide oak board.

Firstly thanks for accepting my membership enquiry.
I found my way to your door in pursuit of information about Carbide Tipped Bandsaw Blades.
I am a relatively new, but becoming highly addicted woodworker.
I still posses that air of novice motivation, excitement and generally annoying enthusiasm.
As I am sure many people do, I watch woodworking videos on YouTube.
Many of these are from the US.
I have been struggling to resaw on my Record Power Sabre 450, so set out to find what blades people were using. The Americans seem to swear by carbide tipped blades, so I set out to buy one in the UK.
I have not found a supplier yet.
I am keen to know what blades people have had resaw and veneer cutting success with in the UK and where they sourced them from.
And also if anyone is importing from the US to resell or to use themselves.
All input appreciated.
Thanks
Steve - welcome aboard (nothing wrong with 'annoying enthusiasm' !) ...

As far as blades for re-sawing are concerned, I've always been a fan of 'meat & fish' blades (low tpi, skip tooth) - they have deep gullets which clear quickly. My UK go-to supplier for the majority of my blades is Beaverstock ...

This clip from Mathias Wandel explains the 're-sawing challenge' really well:

Hi and welcome. I looked in to carbide tipped bandsaw blades a few years back. I came to the conclusion they were unnecessary, but I can’t for the life of me remember the rationale! The other main learning from that exercise was to use a blade with the correct tooth count per inch for the job.

I’ve a similar sized machine and a tuffsaws M42 3/4” 3TPI will resaw 2mm off the side of a 280mm wide oak board.
Thanks Fitzroy

Latest posts

Back