Idigbo For External Garage Doors?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garbo

Reaction score
Hello there! I'm loooking to get a pair of side hung garage doors made by a local joinery firm. I'd like to know what is the general view on using Idigbo for external garage doors? I intend to use a good quality stain / treatment.

I've read conflicting views. Some stating that Idigbo is really only suitable for internal joinery and others stating that Idigbo is good for external door use. So I'm a little confused....

Many thanks

Hi.

I am going to make the same for my garage and narrowed the choice of timber down to redwood ,douglas fir , idigbo or red grandis.

Watch this space.

Clive.

Redwood would be much much cheaper having pre made t and g. Making t and g consumes large quantities of wood. Random width stuff looks best and reduces waste

I made a large pair of doors (2.5m high) for the back of my house out of it about 15 years ago and they are still okay, they haven't really moved or started rotting yet anyway.

They have leached some yellow oil/tannins from the joints but the doors are painted white, don't think that's a problem if you stain them.

I do remember when making the doors the wood was a real mixed batch, some pieces were really hard and heavy while other pieces were really light and fluffy.

Many thanks for the replies, food for thought. Very much appreciated!
I've had a look at the link supplied by Cabinetman and note that is states:-

"Common Uses: Veneer, plywood, light construction, interior joinery, furniture, and cabinetry."

No specific mention of external uses........ ??

Back