I made a box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzpoz

Established Member
Reaction score
This was maybe my 4th or 5th project. But definitely the most difficult. My other projects , a coffee table , Xmas star , 3 legged stool all had a much greater margin of error.
I wanted to make something a bit more technical and learn some new techniques. So I followed a YouTube vid and made a nice little box from old pallet wood.
It's not perfect but turned out ok I think.

Attachments

• PXL_20240915_172057646.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240915_172057646.MP.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240915_171956197.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240915_171956197.MP.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
I like the knot too and often use scraps for small boxes so that I can improve techniques but which if I deem passable and not fit for firewood I usually pass on to my wife or wider family.

I often find the smaller boxes more fiddly both in terms of the dimensioning and getting the joints to line up as I feel any flaws stand out more which is why I like yours so much.

The first three pictures I've attached are of a box made from cherry and walnut. I initially tried to mitre the walnut internals but as they're only around 2mm thick, they were splintering despite trying several ways around it - I ended up butt-jointing them which wasn't ideal, but OK. The split on the lid was filled with black two-part filler from Morrells.

The second box is walnut and maple and a fair bit smaller but which I turned into a music box for one of the tunes she used to sing/hum to our youngest so there's a shelf inside which this sits on and a recess in the base for the key.

Attachments

• IMG_6595.jpg
    IMG_6595.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6596.jpg
    IMG_6596.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6597.jpg
    IMG_6597.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6593.jpg
    IMG_6593.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6599.jpg
    IMG_6599.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6600.jpg
    IMG_6600.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 0
Nice work - as you say the smaller you go the lower the margin for error so a good learning exercise on measuring marking and dimensioning the wood.
Did you take any WIP pictures - always nice to see the process you followed.

Thanks. But no I didn't. I just followed a YouTube vid by Steve Ramsey. I've been watching alot of his videos. The good thing is it turned out looking somewhat like his.
It was a bit nerve-racking cutting the lid off. It was my 1st time using a router table. Silly how nervous I felt hoping the inner and outer grooves lined up to release the lid and leave a lip.
I think I walked away 3 or 4 times before I got the box to the router bit 😂

Latest posts

Back