How to become a qualified skilled carpenter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S-L

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have worked on some small wood projects like small cupboards, etc. And I am exploring ways of changing my career path to work as a professional carpenter in UK in my 30s.
I had tried to look for jobs online but it seems most of them requires a NVQ level 2 qualification. I am wondering whether this qualification is required for most of the carpenter jobs now?
I am willing to further improve and learn more about carpentry and also joinery but going back to college and taking a 2-years full time course for level 1 then level 2 seems not a feasible option for my situation.
Although I can't afford quitting my current job for a entire year, I am willing to take full time course for a few months. during nighttime or weekends.
If this is the case that achieving a NVQ level 2 would be much easier for me to get a job, what would be the faster way to do so?
Is it possible that I can get employed with just an NVQ level 1 so that I can gain experience and just take a short course for NVQ level 2 later on?
would like to know more about the industry and job market in UK, especially in London. Thanks in advance

most carpentry jobs will require experience not qualifications

You firstly need to decide what sort of carpentry work you want to do: first fix, roofing, second fix, kitchen fitting, cabinetry etc etc

then you need to decide whether you can afford the lower rates of pay during the transition, as the only way you will get work is with experience.

I would guess that a labourer in South East might earn £120 a day, a partly skilled carpenter / general site worker might be £150 and a full skilled carpenter from £180 to £300 a day.

NVQ2 is fairly straightforward, although it does require you to show your skill making stud walls and simple roofs in a real life setting.

It is essential if you want to work on any large site and probably quite a good investment at the moment, as the old CSCS cards which came from grandfather rights will stop working at the end of December 2024, which means that everyone working on a construction site who doesn't have a construction related academic qualification will need to get an NVQ this year.

There's also City and Guild Carpentry and Joinery level 1, 2 & 3's which can be done at evening college, although you still need an NVQ on top of that to work on a CSCS controlled site.

Things are really getting a shake up from the end of this year as it looks like everyone has to prove their competence from next year, with project managers needing to go even further and get professional qualifications such as MRICS or MCIOB as a minimum.

Last edited:
my daughters ex boyfriend was a PHD in engineering and designed a lot of tunnels / wind turbins etc - I dont know the detail - But i can remember he went on a site he had designed and was NOT allowed to go onto the site without some form of NVQ qualifications. He was refused entry , and as such the company was talking about training all these highly qualified people , so they could attend site, no idea on end result , they broke up quite soon after
This was probably 15 years ago
Same for my inlaws - my sister-in-law brother had about 35 years experiance building (brickwork etc etc ) and my nephew had just got his qualification and had very little experience. He was allowed on site the 35years experience guy was NOT
as said
which means that everyone working on a construction site who doesn't have a construction related academic qualification will need to get an NVQ this year.
you need to look into the detail, if you intend to work on any site

most carpentry jobs will require experience not qualifications

You firstly need to decide what sort of carpentry work you want to do: first fix, roofing, second fix, kitchen fitting, cabinetry etc etc

then you need to decide whether you can afford the lower rates of pay during the transition, as the only way you will get work is with experience.

I would guess that a labourer in South East might earn £120 a day, a partly skilled carpenter / general site worker might be £150 and a full skilled carpenter from £180 to £300 a day.
I agree, started my apprenticeship in carpentry and joining 1965 done 1 year probation then signed my indentures in 66 then 4 year to get my C & G ordinary level passed with distinction then 1 more year to take advanced level again passed with distinction, after all that I've never been for a job and asked to show any paperwork it's just get a start and see what you can do, my certificates are still in the envelops they came in

was NOT allowed to go onto the site without some form of NVQ qualifications
Some bit of paper is not going to hang a door or fit a staircase, you might be the most highly qualified carpenter around but if you cannot do the job and meet expectations you are not going to be much use as you will never learn in a classroom what you will on the job. Your problem is that you need your current job for income and just taking time to go on evening classes is no good without the experience and is where a youngster living at home can work with a skilled bloke and do the theory.

Trade NVQ's are site based practical assessments, not classroom lessons. If you can't pass an NVQ2, you're going to be a rubbish chippy.

Sometimes it's worth doing a little research on the subject before posting your opinion on t'internet.

Last edited:
Whilst not necessarily giving them the broad range of knowledge that experience does, the classroom gives a good foundation and basic understanding, I have mentored a few NVQ students in the past, refined their skills and helped them complete the required training, all of whom have all gone on to greater things (than me, I might add...)

I agree, started my apprenticeship in carpentry and joining 1965 done 1 year probation then signed my indentures in 66 then 4 year to get my C & G ordinary level passed with distinction then 1 more year to take advanced level again passed with distinction, after all that I've never been for a job and asked to show any paperwork it's just get a start and see what you can do, my certificates are still in the envelops they came in
Same as me, but started in 1963. Only time i have been asked to show my certificates was when attending an interview to do a teachers training course.

Back