How did you learn to turn?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did I learn? Well, I haven't, yet :)

However, I've been given a Coronet major with attachments and a drawer full of old rusty tools by friends who's father passed away and who thought I might enjoy it. My recent thread https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/cleaning-up-a-coronet-major.149245/ is documenting my efforts to get the lathe set up and rescue the tools before making a start.

I've bought Keith Rowley's Foundation Course book which was recommended on here and started reading it and will watch the accompanying video. I've also discovered that there's a chap locally called Mark Beckett (https://mark.beckett.woodturners.uk/shop/woodturning-courses/29-2-day-course.html) who offers courses and that may been up being a Christmas present from the family this year. I'm definitely someone who learns best with hands on practice and teaching.

I don't watch a lot of television but I have YouTube setup on our tv and will often spend an hour or two on there following whatever is my current interest of research so I expect that will be something I'll start doing next week. If anyone has particular channels they'd recommend, I'd be grateful of suggestions.
I’ve learned (or to be more accurate have started to learn!) since this thread started.

I found Richard Raffans YT videos particularly useful.

As a general observation I’ve found anyone who does wood turning to be really helpful in imparting their wisdom. Unlike some other areas of woodworking there seems to be an acceptance that there can be more than one way to do something and as long as it’s safe and it works it’s okay!

How did I learn? Well, I haven't, yet :)

However, I've been given a Coronet major with attachments and a drawer full of old rusty tools by friends who's father passed away and who thought I might enjoy it. My recent thread https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/cleaning-up-a-coronet-major.149245/ is documenting my efforts to get the lathe set up and rescue the tools before making a start.

I've bought Keith Rowley's Foundation Course book which was recommended on here and started reading it and will watch the accompanying video. I've also discovered that there's a chap locally called Mark Beckett (https://mark.beckett.woodturners.uk/shop/woodturning-courses/29-2-day-course.html) who offers courses and that may been up being a Christmas present from the family this year. I'm definitely someone who learns best with hands on practice and teaching.

I don't watch a lot of television but I have YouTube setup on our tv and will often spend an hour or two on there following whatever is my current interest of research so I expect that will be something I'll start doing next week. If anyone has particular channels they'd recommend, I'd be grateful of suggestions.
Worth the effort
Mike peace
Phil Anderson / Shady acres workshop
Richard Raffan
Mike Holton
Kim Tippin Wood Turning
Sprague Woodturning
Jack Mack Woodturning
Andrew McCarn
Duka Heritage
Andy Phillip
Andy's Cornish Creations
Ashley HarwoodBB Turning (also a member on here)
Carl Jacobson

That should be enough to get you started 😉 there are probably another 30 on my subscribed list

I was shown howto turn wood by my father. When he passed in 2021 mum pave me his old Axminster lathe
I have been buying bits for it, much to the amusement of Axminster staff.
‘ hi it’s me again the chap with the 32 year old lathe”, is how my conversation starts with them
Have to say the have been very good, down side is the model is so old that parts like drive belts are becoming an issue

Whoop whoop as my grand kids say.
Just to delivery of a new Axminster lathe
I was made an offer I could not refuse, best part is that all my old chucks and face plate from the old lathe (some I have only just bought) will fit on the new one.
The new lathe gives me an extra 30 mm on the old and there is an option of a bed extension .... when I can afford it.

Whoop whoop as my grand kids say.
Just to delivery of a new Axminster lathe
I was made an offer I could not refuse, best part is that all my old chucks and face plate from the old lathe (some I have only just bought) will fit on the new one.
The new lathe gives me an extra 30 mm on the old and there is an option of a bed extension .... when I can afford it.
I'm very envious, I would love a new lathe, just can't afford it at the minute.

Back