Homemade modified metal to wood lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I remember years ago seeing someone having a modified metal lathe to turn wood bowls etc. I think it was a professional wood turner

He basically took off the bed and had it as like a vb36 style lathe. Other modifications as well but I can't remember.

It was a very big old metal lathe, don't remember where they were based but possibly on the continent?

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Thanks

Hi all,

I remember years ago seeing someone having a modified metal lathe to turn wood bowls etc. I think it was a professional wood turner

He basically took off the bed and had it as like a vb36 style lathe. Other modifications as well but I can't remember.

It was a very big old metal lathe, don't remember where they were based but possibly on the continent?

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Thanks
Well I can remember the article. probably late 80s, early 90s, and probably in "The Woodworker" IIRC. The only real part I can remember was that they had removed all the gearbox from the head, and had I think fitted a smaller single phase motor. There was some talk about how the head bearings would fare without oil I think. Seemed like quite a good idea at the time I thought.

Back