holly logs - any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteb

Reaction score
hi

I got hold of some holly logs - about 3 inches in diameter.

how will it turn?
should I turn it green?

any suggestions on what to turn? I never seem to have much inspiration for spindle turning.

IIRC it is liable to cracking but IMO is a lovely wood. Very pale.

tho 3" in diameter is very small. You might get some spindle work out of it or small boxes.

You can pay me a tenner, but only if you deliver it :wink:

3" green holy makes great natraul edge paper thin goblets- but it is a very unforgiving wood to turn green.
the value of most green wood is firewood prices unless its somthing special i.e elm, yew, burrs etc but plain beech, ash,sycamore sells for very little if not free to a good home

Thanks Cornucopia (and thank you Wizer for the comedy as always...),

I asked because I have a 30-40cm diameter holly tree that is approx 8m high, which I intend to take down in the near future. Would it be worth bothering to plank and dry it? I hear that holly is used for decorative inlays.

Cheers,
C

I'd advise you find a buyer before you go to the trouble of planking it. There's a lot of work involved in getting it to the state where it can be used as inlay and I'm willing to bet most supplier already have a source sown up.

I've got the tools and space/time to plank and dry it so the direct cost is minimal - so I'd only take a labour hit. I wouldn't be looking to sell it on, I'm just curious as to whether I'd make a worthwhile saving if I decided to create something with it....

Wouldn't have thought it was worth planking - I like holly for natural-edge pieces - the bark stays on well,and it finishes very nicely.If you are going to take it down,it's probably worth splitting it through the pith,but will still need to be careful drying it.

Andrew

Holly is a lovely wood to turn, either green or dry. The main problem with it is that it tends to split very easily when drying. I have rough-turned some greenish holly into boxes, but the failure rate (splitting) is quite high - about 50% have developed some splits. The others have distorted significantly while drying - a couple have gone so oval they will not be usable.

I imagine that holly planks would warp massively while drying!

tekno.mage

I love Holly! I love it when it is pale like marble, I love it when the colours kick in and I love the way it turns and holds a clean edge.

The small stuff, once split, may still make pen blank size?

I have some holly that was part of the pay for turning 5 dozen raptor eggs for the falconary centre in Gloucestershire. It had been part of a display in their shop for about 10 years and as dry as a bone! I use it for the white peices when I make chess sets with American black walnut for the others that we ar not allowed to call black now because it might upset the PC brigade! Sorry, I digress. The holly turns just like cream and is wonderful. The black walnut turns beautifully too and smells just like chocolat.

These are the eggs. I was not an egg fan by the finish and from the size of a Golden Eagles egg I now know why they have such a wicked look in their eyes 'cause if I had to pass anything that big I would be bloody well upset too!

Birdofpreyeggs.jpg

I also have some Holly logs, about fifty, ranging from six to 12 inches in Diameter maybe more and cut into about two foot lengths. Is there a demand for these?

Latest posts

Back