Hobbit house

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m planning to build an outdoor hut styled as a Hobbit House, with curved roof (shingles or shakes?) & roof facings also curved. The overall roof will be round, or a 16 faced cone made on top of wood trusses. The overall structure is based on four tree trunks I’ve already set into the ground, they are about 45-60cm in diameter and form a square about 2.5 x 2.5m.
I’m trying to keep the wood joints simple also to make the main supporting frame from large boards that can chainsaw myself from other tree trunks I have. The wood is alll pine.
Any suggestions on best way to form the overall structure of this round roof would be appreciated, especially the frame to be built on top of the four trunks, also the top joint of the roof where all the trusses will have to meet up?

Use large boards cut from your available tree trunks to create a square frame that sits on top of the four tree trunks. This frame will support the roof structure.

Look up Tony Wrench's roundhouse for details of a reciprocal frame roof. Think you might need 4 more uprights to support the ring beam but it should give you some idea

Back