Help me with my first ever mig welds, why do they look like Swiss cheese and will I ever improve (cry for help after being demolished on Reddit)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where is the information required, type of MIG, current, feed speed etc etc. Half the battle is getting the right welder and setup correctly, then you are in a position to learn. Best thing to do is get an evening class in welding, it is how I was taught gas, MMA and TIG other wise it is like teaching yourself to drive and expecting to pass the test.

I haven't done any MIG yet still on MMA, but that looks like not enough penetration (beads sitting on top too much) so not enough amps and also not enough gas flow (all the oxidation). The long one on the left is obviously closest but it looks like you need it to dig in more (and can then probably move a bit faster), and it's still not been protected enough by the gas. But that's me as a very amateur learner welder guessing really. As Tris said, the 'MIG welding forum' is a great source of better informed advice.

Back