Garage / workshop floor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, looking for some advise or suggestion please on what to do with my garage floor, it’s a new build single car garage and the floor is currently concrete, part of main slab of the house throughout the ground floor.

The concrete is level to an acceptable standard but it’s not smooth it’s very rippled as if it’s been just finished with a board dragged across and not smoothed and polished.

I have my workbenches which are fixed in so either of the following options would have to fit / workaround the posts of the benches, not a huge issue but still a thought.

I’ve been thinking of either screeding on top of the concrete or buying those heavy duty (15mm) gym rubber flooring matting but then also thought of the resin option (know little to nothing about this method).

Anyone got and suggestions or advice which may be the best solution for a hobby workshop floor?
Thank Dan

Id go for the garage floor rubber interlocking mats or sheet rather than gym mats.
Gym mats are great for comfort use, but not so good if you got stuff on castors. Castors act as a point load, not ideal on gym mats as they are designed for more even loading. So something like a lathe on legs would really need spreader boards under them.

So does depend on what you going to be using tool wise.

See the differences here. Good info but shop around as these are great but dear I think.

https://www.tufferman.co.uk/collections/mats-flooring

and the floor is currently concrete, part of main slab of the house throughout the ground floor.
It may not be, as most garage floors are about 3-4 inch lower than the house floor if it's an integrated garage. If it's rough rippled as mine was you nay still need a skim of self leveling cement or to board the floor with ply then add garage mat flooring.

Back