Forstner Drill Bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is difficult to tell the true origins of some of these Forstner bits. I believe that even some of the more reputable makers are buying them in from the far-east but grinding them to the finished profile themselves.

My review of the fisch bradpoints is there really average. Quite a ragged hole considering its brand new. Almost certainly Taiwanese. They are centred though.
Odd. My Fisch brads are like razors. The cut incredibly clean holes. I have the 1-13mm HSS set.

Regarding Forstner bits. I have some Bosch Professional, Fisch, and KWB. All wave cutters. The Fisch ones are a smidge better from new, but the KWB ones are excellent.

The Bosch and KWB bits are virtually identical. There is a slight difference to the profile of the grind on the wave, but other than that they are the same - shank and head profile, finishing, printing, box.

When it comes to the question of forstner bits I generally find the answer is FAMAG (ideally FAMAG Bormax 3). It's not the best answer for your wallet, granted.

I must admit I bought a cheapo set from Screwfix - Hilka springs to mind, and whilst not the sharpest out-the-box they have served me well even in hard or tough woods such as Maple and Sapele.
In my experience by adjusting the RPM and feed rate, perfectly acceptable cuts can be made with even mediocre quality tools.
I will admit I generally only use them in a pillar drill and never free-hand and I suspect that that adds a level of control one would otherwise not have and contributes to the finish quality.

Latest posts

Back