Fitting under counter wine chiller?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm building a kitchen island for a customer which will incorporate an under counter wine fridge/store (Siemens iQ 500).

The installation instructions say it fits in a 600mm wide opening which sounds right as the fridge is about 595 wide but the problem I see is that as the door is opened the corner of it projects about 5mm past the edge of the fridge returning to within the fridge width when it's fully open.

Was hoping to keep the front of the fridge in line with the front of the doors/frame and not have it looking too "gappy".

Anyone else come across this, pictures show it all fitting nice and flush but I think it needs either maybe 8mm shadow gap down each side or the whole thing standing forwards the thickness of the door (which we don't want)?

https://www.siemens-home.bsh-group....ngwinecoolersbuiltunderwinecoolers/KU21WAHG0G

@Distinterior you must have fitted a few of these in your time?

I have indeed Doug, quite a few over the years...!

The last one I did about 6 weeks ago, I fitted it into a 610mm gap. It was also going into an island, so I made the opposing cabinet ( a drawer unit) on the other side of the Island also 610mm wide.
Technically, as you've already worked out, they will fit into a 600mm space, but the door tends to open beyond it's own width, so to speak and the extra 10mm gives adequate clearance for the glass door to open without fouling.

On a similar note, American fridge freezers have the same problem,......They may well fit into a 900mm space, but you have to pull them so far forward to allow the doors to clear on opening.......Hence, I always make the top box cabinet above wider than 900mm to allow the clearance needed for the doors.
That way, they can sit further back. ...Not exactly flush with the cabinet doors, but far better than if the cabinet above was 900mm wide!

This was a job I did recently and it has both the wine cooler in the island and an American fridge freezer.......

As I made all the cabinets & all the doors, I could make them any size I chose.....both appliances fit a treat.

20240727_111445.jpg
20240727_111450.jpg

Back