Fire safety/Fire extinguishers - what to buy etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've just had our annual fire extinguisher inspection and the engineer said that foam is being phased out due to the chemicals in it, fortunately we only have 2 so not an issue to replace.
As a a BAFE Engineer, Foam extinguishers are not being phased out.
As the have a good use.

What is being clamped down on is the discharging of said units down the drains.

A few money grabbing companies will tell you that and sell you a ECO foam unit. What does not have a good fire rating.

These are popular in the campervan world, seem to cover most likely types of fire in a van and are very small/light which is a big plus.

https://firesafetystick.com/

I’d be interested to hear what people’s thoughts are on these?
They seem perfect, I wonder if they would work on an EV fire? Otherwise way too expensive at £210.00 for a 3 pack of 50 second units.

I do have a LifePo4 leisure battery, which I believe are bit less dangerous than EV battery packs. However if that's on fire, I'll probably just retreat.

I would point you towards the Firexo range of extinguishers.

Their range consists of a pan sachet which replaces a fire blanket, and a modified water extinguisher for all fire categories. (Including electrical).

They even have a test video showing them being successfully used against lithium battery fires. (Although I don't believe it's specifically certified for them at this point)

We have these exclusively around the house, including a 6-liter extinguisher at the top of the stairs.

Our outbuildings still have dry powder (And I think I'll add CO2 to them) - I'm concerned that a water-based extinguisher might freeze, but I have no basis for that assumption.

They seem perfect, I wonder if they would work on an EV fire? Otherwise way too expensive at £210.00 for a 3 pack of 50 second units.
Very little works on EV Fires.
The current method is, once the flames are out submerge in water for 29days.

These are popular in the campervan world, seem to cover most likely types of fire in a van and are very small/light which is a big plus.

https://firesafetystick.com/

I’d be interested to hear what people’s thoughts are on these?

But It is advised a minimum of a 2kg powder is better, better still if backed up with a 1.2m Fire blanket.

I would point you towards the Firexo range of extinguishers.

Their range consists of a pan sachet which replaces a fire blanket, and a modified water extinguisher for all fire categories. (Including electrical).

They even have a test video showing them being successfully used against lithium battery fires. (Although I don't believe it's specifically certified for them at this point)

We have these exclusively around the house, including a 6-liter extinguisher at the top of the stairs.

Our outbuildings still have dry powder (And I think I'll add CO2 to them) - I'm concerned that a water-based extinguisher might freeze, but I have no basis for that assumption.
Simply put.
If not red they are not approved for UK use.

The Lithium fire test was a good giggle in the trade when it first come out.

Not much will tackle a lithium fire. Small house old stuff a foam or a powder will slow it down.

The times I see a class D type being advised I giggle.

What's the concern with their lithium test video? I'm aware that some of their older videos had concerns that only the plastic casing was burning and that it wasn't a lithium thermal-runaway scenario, but the video in the article I linked to appears to me to show a runaway condition being extinguished.

I'm also curious about the general comment on class D extinguishers, surely the classification wouldn't exist if it wasn't possible or practical? I appreciate that manufacturers may well embellish their product capabilities, but the classifications are a general standard for them to meet.

Ignoring the lithium side, what are your thoughts on these modified water extinguishers compared?

What's the concern with their lithium test video? I'm aware that some of their older videos had concerns that only the plastic casing was burning and that it wasn't a lithium thermal-runaway scenario, but the video in the article I linked to appears to me to show a runaway condition being extinguished.

I'm also curious about the general comment on class D extinguishers, surely the classification wouldn't exist if it wasn't possible or practical? I appreciate that manufacturers may well embellish their product capabilities, but the classifications are a general standard for them to meet.

Ignoring the lithium side, what are your thoughts on these modified water extinguishers compared?
What's the concern with their lithium test video?
It was not a pure lithIon fire, as tested by BAFE.
BAFE is God in The UK fire trade.

I'm also curious about the general comment on class D extinguishers,

Is for flammable metals, so when machining etc. Not batteries. It has a different method of working.
It wafts, not sprays,

Nowt, they reduce the fire rating down. So in a case where you need 2 x 21 rated units, with them you may need 4units.

What's the concern with their lithium test video?
It was not a pure lithIon fire, as tested by BAFE.
BAFE is God in The UK fire trade.

I'm also curious about the general comment on class D extinguishers,

Is for flammable metals, so when machining etc. Not batteries. It has a different method of working.
It wafts, not sprays,

Nowt, they reduce the fire rating down. So in a case where you need 2 x 21 rated units, with them you may need 4units.
Thank you.

Foam extinguishment is simply (soap-like) bubbles filled with Co2.

It used to be(might still be so) made from blood protein . One of my Dads colleagues, also our scout leader, was a fire consultant with BAESystems, and one time visiting his house to pick up camping gear he was using this foam stuff on his lawn. Poured a bit on then used a hose to agitate it. This guys lawn was so green it could have represented Ireland.

My take is whatever is recommended. But i keep 2 small foam types(250ml)- brand name 'mini firefighter' in the kitchen, and a 1kg powder in the workshop.
Yes powder makes a mess, but you know what makes a bigger mess ? the fire itself. Life threatening burns aside, get any fire extinguished and deal with the aftermath once the danger is over.

I really should get a couple of fireblankets too, ive actually used those on an oil fire, and while i think thats not recommended, at the time it happened it was in an industrial kitchen, and was either that or hit the fire alarm, evacuating the entire hotel at 5:30am

Last edited:
Very little works on EV Fires.
The current method is, once the flames are out submerge in water for 29days.
My thoughts were that should I come across a car fire maybe on the hard shoulder on a motorway with it's occupants still inside, that this fire stick may buy them some time as it's claimed to be safe for confined spaces. Bottom line is that carrying one in the car could save lives.

Also one for the shed and another for the kitchen.

Could you give me an alternative for the above-mentioned scenarios, better options are always welcome.

Yes powder makes a mess, but you know what makes a bigger mess ? the fire itself. Life threatening burns aside, get any fire extinguished and deal with the aftermath once the danger is over.
I agree in principle but not so useful if you breathe in a load of powder and get a chronic lung issue. It appears to be a known irritant but not sure of long term effects. I'd probably rather have my garage burn down than trash my lungs, I can rebuild the garage.

Seems like a horses for courses situation i.e. I wouldn't set one off in my kitchen, but not so bad spraying through an open garage door.

I find the water mist ones interesting as they can be used on electrical fires apparently, which doesn't make any sense to me.

Last edited:
I find the water mist ones interesting as they can be used on electrical fires apparently, which doesn't make any sense to me.
Pure water is non conducting, it is the impurities that make water conductive and de-minerilised water contains no copper or other minerals that our tap water contains. They clean the high voltage insulators on power transmision lines from a helicopter using a pressure washer with de-mineralised water and they run at thousands of volts. The problem I can see is contamination, if that water in the extinguisher gets any impurities from being in contact with certain metals then I would not want to spray it onto anything electrical.

I agree in principle but not so useful if you breathe in a load of powder and get a chronic lung issue. It appears to be a known irritant but not sure of long term effects. I'd probably rather have my garage burn down than trash my lungs,

Things like that are down to prolonged exposure, not a one off situation. You are never going to end up with a chronic lung condition that way. Even smoking cigarettes takes 30/40 years of doing it constantly to end up with chronic issues.

You are more at risk from the highly toxic fine dust from hardwood floating about the workshop

That is allowed in extreme circamstances, it is not advised. You may get away with it on single phase 240vac of lower, but i would not advise one to be in the area.
electrical risks are covered by CO2.

Pure water is non conducting, it is the impurities that make water conductive and de-minerilised water contains no copper or other minerals that our tap water contains. They clean the high voltage insulators on power transmision lines from a helicopter using a pressure washer with de-mineralised water and they run at thousands of volts. The problem I can see is contamination, if that water in the extinguisher gets any impurities from being in contact with certain metals then I would not want to spray it onto anything electrical.

water based extinguishers are not pure water/4Tap water and additives.

Latest posts

Back