Festool Domino just blew up!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paddy Roxburgh":37ilezml said:
bourbon":37ilezml said:
I've done more than 40 mortices with my aldi jobbie! A classic example of expensive not necessarily better

Hi, what is an "aldi jobbie"?

Applied to Scottish parlance, it's a piece of s***. :D

I have no idea what the Aldi machine is to be honest.

Bodgers":1lzsx55o said:
I have had my suspicions about my unit ever since it came out the box actually. The motor has always sounded a bit 'dry' and a bit on the rough side. Not sure what is normal really for these...

Not looked up the domino parts but the track saws and rotexes (at least) also have this sound quality and that's to do with metal gearing. Unusual for a power tool, which almost universally use plastic gears.

(An ex-mod on here who was an engineer by profession was once very dismissive of the idea that the tracksaw noise was due to metal gearing,which he saw as improbable over-engineering, but he was wrong.)

Ok, so for those interested in the result....

They repaired it under warranty. Excellent service, they picked up and dropped it off within 5 working days.

No idea what was wrong with it though. On the 'invoice' (totaling 0) it lists a new plug-it cable (which looks new) and labour amounting to units of '40' whatever that is...

So there you go.

I've always found they go beyond expectations, sent back a midi with a dodgy cable. 2.9 years of hard labour! And it came back with a new hutch on top brand new cable plug and dust bag!

Adidat

Bodgers, good to hear you got sorted, there are well publicised problems with plug it leads but sounds like you had more work done if there was a labour charge. I have used the same plug it lead constantly for all my tools in workshop for 8+ years and never had a problem with it.

Jake, I always understood that the strange noise from the tracksaw etc was to do with the fact that the clever electronics inside make them maintain a constant speed irrespective of load and it was the constant speed adjustment that made them sound a bit rough, could be wrong though.

Doug

Interesting that they mentionn the cable in the invoice. I did have a problem with the connector on the cable and had to replace it (out of warranty) and have heard that they can be a problem. Not heard of them going bang before though.

Chris

I've had a knackered switch and a broken gearbox on mine (it gets a hard life) and Festool have repaired both without batting an eyelid. Next day Fedex pickup, and I've had it back within a few of days on both occasions.

I still think Festool are overpriced and the build quality is a little exaggerated some times, but the customer service is pretty good. Plug-It cables, on the other hand, are carp.

Glad it got sorted!

Not had an issue with my Domino but their Customer service is excellent!

Had a PZ1 Centrotec bit that exploded the first time I used it, normally wouldn't bother but for an £11 bit thought i'd ask them. No problem whatsoever and just sent me a new one despite it being a consumable.

Jon.

adidat":28nolokv said:
I've always found they go beyond expectations, sent back a midi with a dodgy cable. 2.9 years of hard labour! And it came back with a new hutch on top brand new cable plug and dust bag!

Adidat
Yeah I've heard a few people get that same treatment. I bought an updated Tloc top for mine from Holland if I'd have know I'd have sent mine in lol

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Doug71":3n098w2u said:
Jake, I always understood that the strange noise from the tracksaw etc was to do with the fact that the clever electronics inside make them maintain a constant speed irrespective of load and it was the constant speed adjustment that made them sound a bit rough, could be wrong though.

Doug

It's the combo of that hunting and the metal gearing.

Latest posts

Back