Exhaust refurb

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
We removed the exhaust from my lad's Aprilia rs125 and want to sort it out a bit before it goes back on. Cosmetics aren't the issue, but I'm wondering how far back we take the rust before we spray with high-temperature paint. So far it's just had a quick going over with a hand-held wire brush, and I'm thinking one on a drill next. Is there anything else we should do before painting? Sand blasting etc would probably do more harm than good, and there's probably little point in using solutions or electrolysis as it'll just get rusty again anyway. It's pitted, pic shows the worst of it. At some point he'll try to make a replacement.

Thanks for any thoughts, Chris

IMG_20241015_173403.jpg IMG_20241015_173412.jpg

ps The silencer is apart, ready for re-packing.

Hard to know, can you feel/tell how much metal there is left under the rust? Good rust converter (once you are finished with the wire brush) might be an option although no idea on how it will behave once hot.

Hard to know, can you feel/tell how much metal there is left under the rust? Good rust converter (once you are finished with the wire brush) might be an option although no idea on how it will behave once hot.
In my mind, heat is the issue - as far as I'm aware, heat-resistant paint is the only thing that'll cope. It seems like there's enough metal left for the foreseeable, and of course repairs are possible tho maybe not desirable?

That is verging on being a tetley tea bag, I would get it lightly sandblasted and then see what you have got. Yes there will be some holes but then with it clean you can do some repairs. The other issue is how much crud inside, here we used to block one end and fill with caustic soda and leave overnight and rinse out but again I think you might spring some leaks. Have you taken all the required dimensions so you could make a new one ?

You can of course just buy a new one

https://www.jl-exhausts.com/jollymoto-aprilia-exhausts-911-c.asp

Back