Engineer’s Vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have come across this Engineer’s vice listed by the seller as Record No1A but I can’t see the maker’s name on the photos nor can I see it listed on the Record Catalogue?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6713.png
    IMG_6713.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6714.png
    IMG_6714.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I would ask for a photo with a tape measure in it to show the width of the jaws, and one to show the condition of the screw, and ideally nut.

But if it isn't a Record 1A, then the seller has shot themselves in the foot because you would have a "significantly not as described" complaint against the seller and ebay would almost certainly refund your money if you rejected it after seeing it, Including cost of return postage.

As a seller, never state something as fact unless you are absolutely sure of it.

A couple of catalogue pages posted up on this thread are very useful.
I wonder if the A means a vice originally supplied with a swivel base ?
Obviously the one at the start of this thread doesn't have that any longer if it ever did.

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/record-6-vice-jaws.29958/

stevevice1.jpg

Attachments

• 22604-10627ade1c38e9fda64911b1e14331ea.jpg
    22604-10627ade1c38e9fda64911b1e14331ea.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 0
I would ask for a photo with a tape measure in it to show the width of the jaws, and one to show the condition of the screw, and ideally nut.

But if it isn't a Record 1A, then the seller has shot themselves in the foot because you would have a "significantly not as described" complaint against the seller and ebay would almost certainly refund your money if you rejected it after seeing it, Including cost of return postage.

As a seller, never state something as fact unless you are absolutely sure of it.

A couple of catalogue pages posted up on this thread are very useful.
I wonder if the A means a vice originally supplied with a swivel base ?
Obviously the one at the start of this thread doesn't have that any longer if it ever did.

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/record-6-vice-jaws.29958/

View attachment 187638
Fantastic response and research; thanks.
Thanks for your help and attached information; all very useful information to help my knowledge.

I wonder if the A means a vice originally supplied with a swivel base?

The 1A is cast into the body. The logistics of trying to distinguish between swivel base and non-swivel base at that stage in the production process would be challenging.

Record catalogues (CW Hampton) are also available at the Internet Archive as well as vintagemechinery.org

Back