End grain chopping board.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Distinterior

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just finished making & installing a new kitchen for a client and she has asked me if I can make her a large (800mm x 500mm x 70mm ) end grain chopping board as a surprise present for her husband to use, as he does the majority of the cooking....!šŸ˜®

I've suggested either Beech or Maple as the wood to use.

Two questions, having never made an end grain chopping board before,.....What's the best adhesive to use and what's the best recommended finish to apply before use & for them to use ongoing.....?

Failing any expert advice, I was going to use Titebond 3....and Mineral Oil....?

Cheers, Tim.

I make a fairly large amount of chopping boars that my other half sells at craft markets and food festivals, finished of a batch of 15 earlier today for a food festival this weekend.
I would only use Beech or Maple for end grain
I have never used anything other than Titebond 3 make sure its never been exposed to frost, and its fresh, we don't make any boards from November through to March and if there is only a small amount of glue left I often bin it.
Finish depends if you want to change the appearance of the wood or not. If its a really high-end board made as a commission it tends to have 2 coasts of Walrus Oil then a coat of mineral oil followed by a couple of applications of my workshop made board dressing, a blend of mineral oil and beeswax.
For a more run of the mill board 3ish coats of mineral oil then 2 application of my dressing,
We also give a small tin of dressing with each board we sell.
From experience don't make the blocks too small and dont sand the glue faces too fine and you will get a stronger board if you offset each line of blocks by half a block, think brick wall, its also good to alternate the grain in each line it looks better and reduces the risk of twisting
I also don't sand too fine.

Now before the floodgates open

I don not claim to be an expert, I have only written what works for me and that's come from a fair bit of trial and error

Hope this helps

Cheers

D

Expert or not......That's good enough for me Darren!....šŸ‘šŸ‘

I'm glad to hear that I was thinking along the right track.

I'll take your advice and plan the project accordingly.

Traditionally it's made of hard maple. And actual; real butchers blocks have a... well i dont actually know what it is called so we'll name it an 'apron' around the sides.

Once you've put all the blocks together, Its the apron around the sides that holds it together along with steel rods that go right through one side to the other, with big steel 'L' brackets on each corner. I imagine that the rods will be done up super tight

In the pic below you can see the ends of the nuts that tighten the rods and pull the who thing together. Although not in this example, you find the rods are on front/back as well as the sides.

While those are visible, the blocks we used at work had the end nuts hidden behind wooden buttons
I'd also say that at 800mmx500mm it would need to be thicker than 70mm. more like 100mm minimum.

I got the pic from this site. price as you see fit,
https://eaglebutchersblocks.co.uk/buy-a-butchers-block-or-accessories
pale-green-painted-butchers-block-with-two-baskets-and-cup-handles.jpg

I think perhaps I haven't explained what the customer actually wants me to make.....

She wants a moveable/portable end grain chopping board that is just going to sit on the Granite worktops.
Its likely to spend most of its life in a certain position on the Granite topped island, but she wants the ability to pick it up and move it occasionally to a different position.

I explained to her, that due to the dimensions she has asked for and its size & weight, moving it will be no mean feat but this is what she wants.

Latest posts

Back