Electrolytic rust removal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've watched all the videos etc and I need something fast to take rust off the growing mountain of car boot victims I have rescued and, while I am aware of the benefits of citric acid etc, electrolysis looks dangerous and, therefore, fun so that is the method of choice!

Thing is, while a battery charger seems to be the preferred power source, I read somewhere that an 'automatic' charger will not work, yet all of them, even cheapo ones seem to have some degree of cutout for incorrect connection.

So... can someone recommend a make/model/specification to look out for? Cheapo ones seem to go for about £20 ish, and I've put a link below for one which caught my eye, but with the above concern highlighted, ie. a 'polarity checker to ensure correct connection'.

There are a couple in Halfords too, but again, I don't want to spend out on something that won't work.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1683wt_905

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165629

Cheers El.

Hi,

I don't think either of those Halfords ones will work, you need an old one the type with a ammeter on no LEDs, try a car boot sale.

Pete

I use this method a lot with great success, one word of warning though. Do not use stainless electrodes. There are many sites out there explaining why, this one gives as good an explanation as any http://antique-engines.com/stainless-steel-electrodes.htm.

I'll second the cheapo charger, I have a halfords inteligent charger which just shuts itself off. I got mine at the local dump for £2.00 its been doing sterling service for the past 8 years.

James

Have you tried plain old Phosphoric Acid diluted down to say 15%? It's used extensively by the car restoration crowd and is cheap as the proverbial chips. Most Diary Supplies places sell it and it's known as Milkstone Cleaner. When I used it last for restoration work - paid £9 for 5L of the stuff.

Just placed the part in the solution and leave it overnight - the rust will be dissolved out. Might leave the surface feeling slightly pitted, but that's down to the rust coming out.

HIH

Dibs

Hi Dibs, not wishing to hijack this post but did you find that the phosphoric acid turned the metal a dull grey? I have used citric acid which left the metal a very dull greyish colour which I found most un-apealing.

James

Jamesc":2iy3l5nv said:
Hi Dibs, not wishing to hijack this post but did you find that the phosphoric acid turned the metal a dull grey? I have used citric acid which left the metal a very dull greyish colour which I found most un-apealing.

James

James

IIRC it does leave it a dull grey colour - that's some type of surface coating that protects the metal (short term) if you don't subsequently apply anything. It was easily abraded off tho - if you would rather see shiny metal.

Dibs

``1If you only have a modern car battery charger which wants to cut out on you then the solution is to put a car battery in the circuit between the charger abd the electrolysis tank. Connect in series. This fools the charger into seeing the expected load and you can proceed.
A

Dangerous thing to do one slip and you short out the battery, and that can lead to an explosion and hot acid everywhere.

Pete

Not dangerous at all. This is standard practice for using a modern battery charger for elctrolysis. The very process should then by your view be seen as dangerous with bare wires everywhere, wet hands etc etc.

Shorting out a car battery not dangerous? since when!

With a battery charger it will have a fuse limiting the current with a battery you don't.

The voltage is low enough to be relatively safe.

Pete

I'm with Pete on this one. Many moons ago I worked with someone who shorted out a battery whilst charging it. Fortunately we got him into a water tank after the battery exploded, but even so he was in and out of the eye hospital for 6 months.

Car batteries can deliver ridiculously high amps (it is what they are designed to do after all) a shorted battery will heat up very quickly. Add this to the hydrogen and oxygen that is liberated when you carry out electrolysis and you have an explosive combination.

This is a good and effective technique, just play smart and use low amps and good ventilation.

James

OK so to save all your lives just get a 12v transformer like you use on train sets cheap on Ebay, job done!

Hi, Serco

As long as it has a rectifier in, you can't do electrolysis with AC.

Pete

Depends if it's a traditional wire wound one or one of the newer solid state transformers. The former should work, whilst the latter is similar to the intelligent chargers and probably won't.

On the subject of batteries in the circuit - I wouldn't having seen one explode and another catch fire, especially as you may leave it unattended for some time. Most injuries heal - but acid to the face\body and in particular to the eyes - doesn't. It's no different to circumventing safety features on electrical equipment - just because you can doesn't mean you should.

What you do at home is your business - but do entertain the thought that it may not necessarily be the best way of doing things and therefore not something to extol the virtues of to the rest of the masses.

Dibs

Hi, Seaco

A transformer only works with AC, thats why I said it needs a rectifier.

Pete

Racers":3pmbie2s said:
Hi, Seaco

A transformer only works with AC, thats why I said it needs a rectifier.

Pete

I don't care what's needed just get a 12v DC transformer!!!!!

Latest posts

Back