eBay scrapping selling fees for private sellers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp122

Expert at Jibber-Jabber
Reaction score
I must admit, I feel good about this, but having sold an awful lot of things since Jan this year, I feel this change would have been better 12 months ago - would have saved me a fortune 😄

Yes, many sell on Facebook or other sites these days, but I always found eBay's reach to be impressive!

Business sellers and motor sales are excluded from this change though.

Happy selling.

They've only scrapped the listing fee(35p) the huge transaction fee is still there 25_30%. Most don't pay a listing fee anyway. Trust me there tighter than a nuns chuff.

I can't tell from the wording if they have scrapped all fees. Hopefully!

This is what they said in the email notification …

selling​

Earlier in the year, we removed transaction fees for pre-loved clothing. As of 1 October 2024, we are extending this across categories, with the exception of motors. Here’s what this means for you:​
  • •​
    Transaction fees were paid when your item sells. We are removing these fees, meaning selling is now free. This applies for both new and existing listings.​
  • •​
    Listing fees are paid when you list an item. You will receive 300 free listings a month.​
  • •​
    Optional add-on features, such as international selling and promoting your listing, will be available for an additional cost.​

They'll find another way to make the money, like the buyer's fee they plan to add.

Not a fan of Ebay anymore for buying, always pushing to save card details and not letting you make offers or bids until you do. They sneakily turned it on for all sellers, including myself, and had to manually switch it off. I had no clue it was on and I suspect others don't know either

They'll find another way to make the money, like the buyer's fee they plan to add.

Not a fan of Ebay anymore for buying, always pushing to save card details and not letting you make offers or bids until you do. They sneakily turned it on for all sellers, including myself, and had to manually switch it off. I had no clue it was on and I suspect others don't know either

I stopped selling on there when they insisted on having access to your bank account ☹️

Plus what's this all about?

Introducing eBay Balance​

From 16 October 2024, we’re introducing eBay balance, a new way to use your funds after you sell. You’ll be able to use your funds to shop directly on eBay or pay for things such as delivery labels, promote your listings, or to cover any selling needs.
Alternatively, you can withdraw available funds from your balance to your bank account - payment holds may apply. As your funds will be stored in your eBay balance, daily, weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly payout schedules will no longer be offered.​

It looks as though Ebay are going to be hanging on to your money after you've sold an item. One wonders how long it will take to extract your money from them.

Plus what's this all about?

Introducing eBay Balance​

From 16 October 2024, we’re introducing eBay balance, a new way to use your funds after you sell. You’ll be able to use your funds to shop directly on eBay or pay for things such as delivery labels, promote your listings, or to cover any selling needs.
Alternatively, you can withdraw available funds from your balance to your bank account - payment holds may apply. As your funds will be stored in your eBay balance, daily, weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly payout schedules will no longer be offered.​

It looks as though Ebay are going to be hanging on to your money after you've sold an item. One wonders how long it will take to extract your money from them.
Even I didn't get it as to why they are doing it. Maybe to ensure people spend more on eBay or that they invest this money and earn interest?

thats a lot of lost revenue , 30P plus 13.22% of the total selling fee , including the postage was charged

I suspect they will clamp down now on Business users who are still setup as private users maybe

How are they going to make up that revenue short fall , maybe a lot more advertising to come

thats a lot of revenue to find from somewhere

Even I didn't get it as to why they are doing it. Maybe to ensure people spend more on eBay or that they invest this money and earn interest?

A friend sold some items on Vinted. The friend then had difficulty extracting their money for a couple of months presumably in case the buyer 'changed their mind' and wanted their money back. I have no personal experience of this not having used Vinted for anything.

Yep. No more scheduled payouts, you have to manually request it

For the last decade or so, most private sellers who are serious would only list via the 80% off selling fees offer, which works out at around 2.9-%3.1% of the sale price. I used it almost exclusively over the last 3 or 4 years.

Back